Lethargic Ibera Hatchling

Ibera_12

Hi Everyone!

About a week and a half ago I ordered an Ibera hatchling. When my little one arrived his box had definitely been mishandled and when I opened the box he was extremely cold and would not move - I thought he was dead until he moved his head. No obvious injuries were seen so I took all the precautions necessary to make sure my little guy would make it through the night (soak in lukewarm water, place in 95-100 degree basking area). By that evening he was crawling around and eating. My breeder told me that I would be receiving a baby that would be well started and a few months old, but that was not what I received. From my guess my hatching was a few days old, his shell was still very soft and he had his dried cord still attached to his under shell. I'm assuming my breeder made a mistake and gave me a baby from a new clutch. Anyway, ever since I've had my Ibera he won't open his eyes willingly or eat without me waking him up. He is constantly under his 100w ZooMed bulb and just sleeps all day without burrowing. I mist his shell till it drips and the surrounding cage about 5 times a day and soak him for about 15 minutes 2x's a day. I was afraid that his eye swelling was due to dehydration and it still very well could be. Half of his habitat is 95-100 degrees with a hide and the other side is about 75 degrees with another hide. He is in a 15gal terrarium with no lid to allow better ventilation. I am using ECO Earth coconut substrate and mulch, it stays moist and is not dusty. I was worried that my hatchling had a form of hatchling failure syndrome but since he eats once a day, I'm assuming it's not. I do not see an infection in either of his eyes either. I own a Sulcata and 2 older Ibera's but have never experienced a lethargic baby like this before. Everyday he just sleeps until I wake him up for a soak and feeding, then he just sleeps the rest of the day. Is this normal for a 2 week old hatchling? He is also itching/rubbing his eyes quite often. I read that some people have used terramycin, so I was considering buying some just incase there is a mild infection I cannot see. When he is awake, which is for about 1-2hrs a day after I wake him up, he is up and moving. I'm honestly at a loss with this little guy. Tomorrow I am planning on cleaning his cage and watering everything down again to make sure it is as humid as possible for him. Any info or recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks guys :)

Attachments

• IMG_5074.JPG
    IMG_5074.JPG
    604.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5082.JPG
    IMG_5082.JPG
    610.4 KB · Views: 21

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
There's no such thing as "hatchling failure syndrome". It's a myth and lie created by the true cause "breeder failure syndrome". If a hatchling is given a proper start to life by the breeder and is taken care of properly IT WILL NOT DIE. There is always a cause, not a magical phrase like hatchling failure syndrome like some breeders will have you believe. Now every tortoise is different... some are more outgoing than others, some sleep 95% of the time. He's eating that's good but from the pics he does look off. I'd also suggest getting a shallower feeding dish that makes it easier for him to access and get in to. It sounds like you are doing the right things. Unfortunately I'd be willing to place a bet on breeder failure syndrome. Keep an eye on him and keep us posted.

Ibera_12

Thanks, @Arizona Sulcata
I had never heard of "hatchling failure syndrome" until I looked up swollen eyes for hatchings...should've known better (just paranoid at this point I suppose). I did switch out the dish after realizing how small he was. He can now climb in an out easily! He is pretty shy, but like you said looks off. I'm most concerned about his eyes not opening regularly, even when he is moving around. I'll keep you posted!

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jersey C.I.
Hi if this hatchling is as young as you think then I dont see nutrition being an issue. He should still be running on yolk. I suspect it may be lighting. I assume you are keeping him indoors with artificial lighting what provision have you made for UV. I keep my hatchling under 12 hours of good quality UV when indoors I use a Mega Ray combi lamp for heat up to 4 hours a day and for the rest of the time they have an Arcadia D3 12% UV which is set between 4 and 6 inches above them. I see lots of activity and find with most tortoises good quality lighting is the key to keeping them active. Is there any chance this tortoise has become dehydrated previous to your care because the presence of solid urates can be a reason for lethargy and loss of appetite.