Lethargic and not eating Red Foot?

Rooen

Location (City and/or State)
WEST CHESTER
I wish my first post was a little more cheery but I find myself looking for some help with my 2 year old Red Foot. Sorry if this is long I tend to get very detailed.

About a week ago I upgraded Matt to a large metal feeding troft, we cleaned it out real well then used plastic to line to bottom and sides. He was in a 40g glass tank which I learned quickly wasnt the proper set up hence the move. The only thing I had on hand was repti bark. Moved him in and he seemed to love it, crused around for well over an hour and stopped by his veggies for a snack between exploring. He seemed very comforable, but since then he's just gone down hill.

He stopped eating slowly. It went from a full plate of veggies a day to now literally a bite, he will shove his face into his food but almost give up and go back to sleep. Maybe taking a single bite out of a black berry or some greens, even temping him with slightly damp kibble or wet food isn't work and that used to be his 'crack' treat.

He's pooped a few times, very small amounts but something is passing through. The last one was in his dish and seemed wet and grey (though the wet could be from sitting next to watermelon and getting sprayed every 2 hours)

He just sticks himself next to his hide and won't move for hours at a time. I've set up little "traps" to see if he's walking around and it's rarely if every. He seems to be making it to his water dish/pool since its cleaned every morning but has some dirt in it by the end of the day.

He has on and off whistling, it seems like when hes walking around the room he's weezing or whistling but when he settles down he's more or less silent. He wakes up with watery eyes now so I can't tell if he's got drippy nose or mouth or it's from the humidity or his eyes.

I am taking him to a vet ASAP. He was weezing last night and the emergency exotic vet dosnt work weekends and my normal vet is closed until monday. There is another emergency vet about 2 hours away and if it comes to that I'll take him but hoping to see our regular one monday.

His temps are 90 under his basking light 62-65 in the middle of the tank and 72-75 at the other end near his hide. Humidity is at 41%, I lowered it a bit to see if it would help his breathing as that sounded wet. (It's normally closer to 60+ the system sprays the tank down every hour for 20 seconds)

Any advice at all is appreciated, I think it's a respiratory infection but I'm new to owning these guys and just have no idea how to help him or make him comforable until I can see the vet. Someone told me the old repti-bark could have caused an issue, could be it be the new enclosure or just the change in environment?

Ant advice at all is much loved thank you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It does sound like a respiratory infection.
Follow your vets instructions. Then get the enclosure into the mid 80s from one end to the other.
Find a way to close off most of the top to keep in that warmth and humidity.
In the meantime, photos of the enclosure, substrate, lamps, etc would help.

Rooen

WEST CHESTER
Here is Matt's enclosure. I have two cermaic heat emitters on either side to keep over all temp up and during the day he has a Powersun heat and UB bulb until his long tube uvb gets here (old one burnt out)

I also have heat mats on the outside of the tub which to keep some spots nice and warm. I'll try and get some plexiglass of sorts cut to see if I can trap some of the heat in for him.

Attachments

• 15842465589789066436649739543026.jpg
    15842465589789066436649739543026.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 15842466102387749460066223623603.jpg
    15842466102387749460066223623603.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23

Rooen

WEST CHESTER
Matt went to the vet and got some fluids as well as a heavy duty antibiotic shot. He will be getting 5 more every 72 hours. First day home he was grumpy but yesterday he was far more active and moving. Still not eating yet but a far cry from the drippy sad looking rock he was over the weekend.

I ordered a large plexiglass sheet that we are going to cut to size over his enclosure to trap heat and moisture and stop the cool draft from getting it. Sadly with everything going on amazon is a bit backed up and we won't get it till next week. So he's getting daily soaks in the mean time.

Kinda hoping he will eat at least a little something today.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Hydration is going to be vitally important throughout the antibiotic treatment so that his kidneys can work optimally.

You can use some baby food carrot puree to help get some calories into his soak water. Mix it 50:50. Make sure his water stays warm throughout the soak (put the soak pan in his enclosure near the heat emitter). If he likes it, go twice a day, especially if you don't see him drinking on his own.

It is not unusual for a tort to stop eating if they are congested (cannot smell). Try hibiscus or chamomile tea/flowers steeped back to life: they both have a strong yummy odor.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Antibiotics kill a lot of the "good" bacteria in the gut as well as the "bad".
It often slows down or stops digestion for a while.
Place a little sweet potato or carrot baby food into your warm soaking water. Your tortoise will get some nutrients as he drinks.
Hydration is the key.
A well hydrated tortoise can live for months with no food. But any little nutrition you can sneak in there will help with the recovery.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hydration is going to be vitally important throughout the antibiotic treatment so that his kidneys can work optimally.

You can use some baby food carrot puree to help get some calories into his soak water. Mix it 50:50. Make sure his water stays warm throughout the soak (put the soak pan in his enclosure near the heat emitter). If he likes it, go twice a day, especially if you don't see him drinking on his own.

It is not unusual for a tort to stop eating if they are congested (cannot smell). Try hibiscus or chamomile tea/flowers steeped back to life: they both have a strong yummy odor.
Geez.
Again!
I really need to read more and post less....
Nice catch, @ZenHerper