Leopard Tortoises

SteveN79

Location (City and/or State)
PERTH
I recently acquired two baby leopard tortoises, I named them Jack and Victor. Unfortunately Victor did not make it, he passed away last week. Jack seems to be doing well, I just improved his living conditions and increased humidity, which I think was a problem before as the room they were in was large and difficult to humidify. I now have Jack in a plastic greenhouse with plenty of room for roaming, and sufficient day and night lamps. The temperature is currently between 30-35°c, and humidity betwwen 48-55%. Is this good enough? Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recently acquired two baby leopard tortoises, I named them Jack and Victor. Unfortunately Victor did not make it, he passed away last week. Jack seems to be doing well, I just improved his living conditions and increased humidity, which I think was a problem before as the room they were in was large and difficult to humidify. I now have Jack in a plastic greenhouse with plenty of room for roaming, and sufficient day and night lamps. The temperature is currently between 30-35°c, and humidity betwwen 48-55%. Is this good enough? Any help would be appreciated.
Here is all the info you need. Questions are welcome:

SteveN79

PERTH
Here is all the info you need. Questions are welcome:
Thank you so much, this is very helpful. I recently got coco choir, but haven't put it down yet. I will now. Could I send you pics of the enclosure, and you could tell me if you see anything wrong? Unfortunately I have no means to make an outdoor enclosure. I live in Central Scotland in a 2nd floor flat.

SteveN79

PERTH
After reading what Tom linked for you come back on here with any questions.
Thank you Wellington. Would you be willing to communicate with me on whatsapp for a short time? I'm not good with using these sites and find it easier for sending pictures and such...I would like to get Jack's enclosure as perfect as it can be and keep him safe.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, I don't use those kinds of apps. In fact I use very little as my phone is older and barely any space left.
By using this forum though, you not only will get all the help you could possibly need, but your thread and posts and others help, also helps those newbies searching the forum for answers.

SteveN79

PERTH
Sorry, I don't use those kinds of apps. In fact I use very little as my phone is older and barely any space left.
By using this forum though, you not only will get all the help you could possibly need, but your thread and posts and others help, also helps those newbies searching the forum for answers.
Thank you, much appreciated. I just changed the enclosure and put in the coco coir so that should improve humidity even more. He seems happier already.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your lights need to be shining straight down.

The temperature should be 80-85°F overall, day and night

Fold the bottom edge of the greenhouse in so condensation doesn't ruin your floor

If that's a red light change it out for a ceramic heat emitter (heat without light)

Wet the substrate and keep it wet

SteveN79

PERTH
Your lights need to be shining straight down.

The temperature should be 80-85°F overall, day and night

Fold the bottom edge of the greenhouse in so condensation doesn't ruin your floor

If that's a red light change it out for a ceramic heat emitter (heat without light)

Wet the substrate and keep it wet
Thank you very much Yvonne, I will do all of that. The man from the sanctuary where I got them recommended the red heat lamp for night time, I did get the feeling he gave me some bad info though, and he was a bit dismissive. I will order a heat emitter. The temperature is spot on, I'm just trying to get the humidity higher now. (It was at 50%) Hopefully the coco coir will help. I just took out the substrate pellets and replaced it with the coir.

SteveN79

PERTH
This is the lamp I have on during the day, from 8am to 6pm.

Attachments

• 16128214347793287703814931839003.jpg
    16128214347793287703814931839003.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This is the lamp I have on during the day, from 8am to 6pm.
Those are very good domes. A bit more expensive than a standard brooder dome, but I feel worth the extra. I actually install them in the enclosures I build for both basking and for holding the CHE if that is chosen.

Great for a 100 watt CHE, or a BR30 flood, or an A17 standard incandescent. Those sizes of bulb work great in that dome as you need to be sure you use a bulb that does not completely fill the dome with no room around the bulb between the bulb and dome. The aluminum dissipates heat well and the 4 vent holes at top also work well with that dome.

It should be mounted so it is shining straight down. The clamp does have a nice safety feature, but I still prefer to hang it and not trust the clamp.

SteveN79

PERTH
Those are very good domes. A bit more expensive than a standard brooder dome, but I feel worth the extra. I actually install them in the enclosures I build for both basking and for holding the CHE if that is chosen.

Great for a 100 watt CHE, or a BR30 flood, or an A17 standard incandescent. Those sizes of bulb work great in that dome as you need to be sure you use a bulb that does not completely fill the dome with no room around the bulb between the bulb and dome. The aluminum dissipates heat well and the 4 vent holes at top also work well with that dome.

It should be mounted so it is shining straight down. The clamp does have a nice safety feature, but I still prefer to hang it and not trust the clamp.
Thank you very much Mark. Does everything look ok with the enclosure? I made sure to take away anything he could flip over on, and the humidity is steadily increasing, it's at 65% and rising..

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you very much Mark. Does everything look ok with the enclosure? I made sure to take away anything he could flip over on, and the humidity is steadily increasing, it's at 65% and rising..
Steve,

I am a big believer in having lots, and lots of plant hides for the tortoise. No tortoise in the wild would ever choose to live in a barren area. They head to brush and high grass cover and that is where they stay and feel secure. They are 'programmed" to look for plants to hide beneath and amongst. IF they cannot find that, I believe we are putting them under constant low-grade stress. I really don't understand where most people come up with sticking a tortoise in such barren enclosures. To me its like taking a new born baby home from the hospital and just laying it on the bare floor in the middle of a room with absolutely no furniture. At least baby humans rely on their mother for security. A tortoise does not even have that. It relies on finding plant cover for its security and well being.

The plants will also help a lot with humidity and choice of shading zones for the tortoise to help reduce the risk of pyramiding.

Sorry you got me going, but you did ask!!

-Mark

SteveN79

PERTH
Steve,

I am a big believer in having lots, and lots of plant hides for the tortoise. No tortoise in the wild would ever choose to live in a barren area. They head to brush and high grass cover and that is where they stay and feel secure. They are 'programmed" to look for plants to hide beneath and amongst. IF they cannot find that, I believe we are putting them under constant low-grade stress. I really don't understand where most people come up with sticking a tortoise in such barren enclosures. To me its like taking a new born baby home from the hospital and just laying it on the bare floor in the middle of a room with absolutely no furniture. At least baby humans rely on their mother for security. A tortoise does not even have that. It relies on finding plant cover for its security and well being.

The plants will also help a lot with humidity and choice of shading zones for the tortoise to help reduce the risk of pyramiding.

Sorry you got me going, but you did ask!!

-Mark
Thanks Mark, I will get on that asap. I'll make sure I get plants that are not harmful to him.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What plant is this big vine. I was afraid to use it with my young juvenile leopard
That is pothos. Probably the easiest and most common houseplant to grow. This plant thrives on our tortoise enclosures. Babies do great with it. As the tortoises get bigger they start to eat it and find they like it. So with juveniles and above, you need to either hang it or have it in larger pots so the tortoises don't totally destroy it. It is a safe tortoise food.