Leopard tortoises how fast they grow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt581

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jackson MI
I have 3 babies and i was just wondering how fast they grow? I have 2 that i got last oct and one is close to 3 inches already and has alot of white on him and the other one is a little over 2 inches with no white. Also have a 10 week old babie thats really small and doing good. I live in MI and i seen online they get 10-16inches full grown? Is this true? if so great size!

Thanks everyone

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The growth rates can vary a lot even with clutchmates raised together in the same enclosure with the same food and routine. As you are seeing, when you raise two together, one will usually outpace the other. Is the third in the same enclosure? Even with the size difference, this might really benefit all three of them.

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
When i bought the 2 (the guy said diffrenct clutches) but yes the 2 i bought together in oct are in the same 6ft tortoise tabe and my little 1 is under 2inches i left her in an aquarium for a few months just so small want her to be a little bigger before i put them all 3 in together.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
In a recent article I read that normal growth for leopards is from 2-4 inches a year.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
matt581 said:
is that for the first 5 yrs or so?

Yes, I would say 2 - 4 inches a year is average until about age 4 - 5 when they tend to hit a growth spurt.

One of ours is about 5 years old and has gained almost 6 inches, and still going. She's now our biggest female. 16 inches is going to be nearing the maximum length for leopard tortoises.

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
Neal said:
matt581 said:
is that for the first 5 yrs or so?

Yes, I would say 2 - 4 inches a year is average until about age 4 - 5 when they tend to hit a growth spurt.

One of ours is about 5 years old and has gained almost 6 inches, and still going. She's now our biggest female. 16 inches is going to be nearing the maximum length for leopard tortoises.

ok slow growers then it will be awhile for 16inches then un like sulcata's. Thanks guys for the info i just dont see much full grow leopards on here some but not alot like sulcata's

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
We have quite a few of our adults. If you have some time, you could browse through some of my threads.

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
Neal said:
We have quite a few of our adults. If you have some time, you could browse through some of my threads.

ok cool will do

Status
Not open for further replies.