Leopard tortoise

Ali watts

Location (City and/or State)
Robertsbridge, East Sussex
Hi I reluctantly inherited my Mums 2 leopards ( male 10yrs and female6yrs ) about 3 yrs ago not having a clue about them but I’ve grown very fond of them. They winter in my kitchen and have run of my garden in the summer. They have grown especially the female and I can’t do another winter with them inside they are too big and too messy! My husband has offered to buy a greenhouse for them 6 by 8 feet, if it was heated could I house them outside for the winter? Please help I need advice and as they where my Mums I cannot get rid of them , thank you
Ali

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow! For sure you don’t want to get rid of tort’s that have been with you & your mum for so long. @JoesMum might be able to assist you with some options. You might want to hibernate them over Winter. A greenhouse is grest, but will need some heating. Soooooo, over to @JoesMum to provide localized info. Good luck!

ps - Welcome to the Forum!

Steph#26

Derby
Leapards dont hibernate i think a green house or a well insulated shed with maybee a oil filled heater would be good im sure theyll be some freads on here about outdoor housing good luck and welcome ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Leapards dont hibernate i think a green house or a well insulated shed with maybee a oil filled heater would be good im sure theyll be some freads on here about outdoor housing good luck and welcome ?

Good catch! I totally FORGOT the OP was speaking about a Leopard! Sooo, yes. Forget the hibernation! But, DO think how to keep that greenhouse & a well heated nightbox heated ! A really well-built nightbox, inside a greenhouse could do.

Ali watts

Thanks Steph
Also I worry about their diet, I’ve investigated what they should eat but all they seem to eat is red /pointed cabbage, various crispy lettuce and cucumber. I bought the tortoise dry food which I soak but they won’t eat it, I sprinkle a powder on the f
Wow! For sure you don’t want to get rid of tort’s that have been with you & your mum for so long. @JoesMum might be able to assist you with some options. You might want to hibernate them over Winter. A greenhouse is grest, but will need some heating. Soooooo, over to @JoesMum to provide localized info. Good luck!

ps - Welcome to the Forum!
Good catch! I totally FORGOT the OP was speaking about a Leopard! Sooo, yes. Forget the hibernation! But, DO think how to keep that greenhouse & a well heated nightbox heated ! A really well-built nightbox, inside a greenhouse could do.
Thank you so much for your help, sorry to be a pain but all they seem to eat is cucumbers, green pointy cabbage, red cabbage and various lettuce, I do give them various cal ( supplements) sprinkled on the food. I’ve tried the pellets soaked in water but they won’t eat it . I just worry that they aren’t getting enough. My local vets have no knowledge , I know they could be suffering but not show it until it’s too late!

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
Here are some examples of other foods you can try..

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Also make sure to have uvb lights in the winter housing. Please post pictures of the tortoises!? I would love too see them. Welcome to the forum!

Ali watts

Here are some examples of other foods you can try..

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Also make sure to have uvb lights in the winter housing. Please post pictures of the tortoises!? I would love too see them. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you so much I really appreciate this . Ali

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I reluctantly inherited my Mums 2 leopards ( male 10yrs and female6yrs ) about 3 yrs ago not having a clue about them but I’ve grown very fond of them. They winter in my kitchen and have run of my garden in the summer. They have grown especially the female and I can’t do another winter with them inside they are too big and too messy! My husband has offered to buy a greenhouse for them 6 by 8 feet, if it was heated could I house them outside for the winter? Please help I need advice and as they where my Mums I cannot get rid of them , thank you
Ali
Here is a care sheet for them that covers temps, housing, feeding etc... At their size and age, you don't need to worry about humidity any more. Moderate humidity will keep the dust down and help keep them hydrated too. It would be best to separate them. They should never live as pairs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ali, and welcome to the Forum!

You'll need to provide an area that you can keep warm day and night. I don't think a greenhouse would be satisfactory. I keep mine in an insulated, heated shed. The shed has two doors, a vinyl strip door and a solid door. During the day I prop open the solid door and the vinyl strips keep the cold air out, but the tortoises can go out if they choose. Inside the shed there is a night box type area for them to shelter in at night, with a radiant heat panel on the wall, and outside the night area I have a light hanging from the ceiling so if it's too cold outside, they still have light in the shed to let them know it's daytime. The leopard area inside the shed is about 4'x8' .

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Ali, and welcome to the Forum!

You'll need to provide an area that you can keep warm day and night. I don't think a greenhouse would be satisfactory. I keep mine in an insulated, heated shed. The shed has two doors, a vinyl strip door and a solid door. During the day I prop open the solid door and the vinyl strips keep the cold air out, but the tortoises can go out if they choose. Inside the shed there is a night box type area for them to shelter in at night, with a radiant heat panel on the wall, and outside the night area I have a light hanging from the ceiling so if it's too cold outside, they still have light in the shed to let them know it's daytime. The leopard area inside the shed is about 4'x8' .
I agree with Yvonne. There’s no way a greenhouse would be warm enough... especially at night. You need to do as she recommends