Leopard Tortoise

Nicolachurch27

Location (City and/or State)
Northants
Hi all I'm new to the Group ?
We purchased a Leopard tortoise back in october and the paperwork stated the hatch date was 01/03/19
That would make my tortoise just over a year old. What should he weigh?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi! Welcome to the forum! I can’t help you with the weight question since I keep Russian’s but I just wanted to say hi and encourage you to post a photo of your tort. We love to see them!

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
We purchased a Leopard tortoise back in october and the paperwork stated the hatch date was 01/03/19
I have a Leopard Tortoise that Ive had since the beginning of February and he was hatched on 4/30/19. I did a ton of digging on growth rates, and it seems tortoise growth rates have huge ranges that are influenced by anything from the way they are being raise to genetics. I weighed my tortoise for the first time a couple weeks after I got him, and he was a whopping 84 grams. I have been weighing him daily before his morning bath and he's up to 107 grams now, just over 20 grams in a month. I was really worried that he was so small when I got him but as long as he has steady weight gain I am happy. How heavy is Honey? Here is a good article on growth rates. http://leopardtortoises.com/leopard-tortoise-growth-rates/

Nicolachurch27

Northants
I have a Leopard Tortoise that Ive had since the beginning of February and he was hatched on 4/30/19. I did a ton of digging on growth rates, and it seems tortoise growth rates have huge ranges that are influenced by anything from the way they are being raise to genetics. I weighed my tortoise for the first time a couple weeks after I got him, and he was a whopping 84 grams. I have been weighing him daily before his morning bath and he's up to 107 grams now, just over 20 grams in a month. I was really worried that he was so small when I got him but as long as he has steady weight gain I am happy. How heavy is Honey? Here is a good article on growth rates. http://leopardtortoises.com/leopard-tortoise-growth-rates/
Hi, wow that is a lot different to ours! We weighed honey just yesterday and she's only 80 grams at a year old so we are a little concerned ?
Thanks for the link, will take a look now

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
Hi, wow that is a lot different to ours! We weighed honey just yesterday and she's only 80 grams at a year old so we are a little concerned ?
Thanks for the link, will take a look now
Have you been weighing her regularly? Also, how is your enclosure setup, temps etc..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most people don't start this species correctly, or house them correctly, or feed them correctly. Under ideal circumstances, they can easily reach 600-800 grams in their first year. Few people hatch and start their babies, or raise and care for them with "ideal" conditions, so something around 200-300 grams of growth in their first year is more "normal".

The real "danger zone" is the ones that don't pass 50 grams. At 80 grams, your tortoise is not likely to drop dead, and should eventually begin to grow and catch up to "normal" with the right care and feeding.

Most people house them in open topped enclosures and tortoise tables, and it is impossible to create and maintain the correct conditions for this species in one of those type enclosures. They need a large closed chamber, daily soaks, and the right foods. Here is all the right care info. Read these and then come back with all your questions. We will help get you and your tortoise on the right track:
Leopards don't eat as much grass, but scroll down to the food list here:

Nicolachurch27

Northants
Most people don't start this species correctly, or house them correctly, or feed them correctly. Under ideal circumstances, they can easily reach 600-800 grams in their first year. Few people hatch and start their babies, or raise and care for them with "ideal" conditions, so something around 200-300 grams of growth in their first year is more "normal".

The real "danger zone" is the ones that don't pass 50 grams. At 80 grams, your tortoise is not likely to drop dead, and should eventually begin to grow and catch up to "normal" with the right care and feeding.

Most people house them in open topped enclosures and tortoise tables, and it is impossible to create and maintain the correct conditions for this species in one of those type enclosures. They need a large closed chamber, daily soaks, and the right foods. Here is all the right care info. Read these and then come back with all your questions. We will help get you and your tortoise on the right track:
Leopards don't eat as much grass, but scroll down to the food list here:

Attachments

• 20200331_170345.jpg
    20200331_170345.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom, this is honey's enclosure, she has lots of room to move around etc
Overall, that looks like a good set up. I don't see a water dish, and the rims of those food bowls are too high. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.

I see you've got the Pets At Home substrate in there. This is no good. It was, and is, a terrible idea to encourage tortoises to eat their sandy substrate in order to satisfy their calcium cravings. Its also way too dry. Leopards do best with warmth and humidity. A 3-4 inch damp layer of orchid bark will solve the problems in that enclosure. I see you have a CHE to maintain ambient. Is it on a thermostat?

Half logs don't hold in any humidity either. You need a proper humid hide.

If the baby has ingested sand, this could explain the slow growth. They also grow much slower in dry conditions. Throw in a bunch of grocery store foods and you have a recipe for slow growth. Do you soak daily? Infrequent soaks will slow them down. Did the breeder and seller soak daily? Most of them don't.

With a few tweaks, you should be able to get your little one growing at a more normal rate.

Nicolachurch27

Northants
Thanks Tom i really appreciate the feedback, ah i had literally just taken the water bowl out to get fresh when i quickly took the pic ? yes the CHE is on a thermostat, also we give her a soak once a day, when we bought her they told us twice a week but we didn't think it was enough, thank you so much for telling us about the pets at home sand, do you know the best place to purchase what i need? Also any tips on where to get her the best food would also be fab, much appreciated