Leopard Tortoise Winter Housing

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Ok so I am probably going to get a 9" inch Leopard tortoise soon. But how would I go about housing him in the winter? Should I try hibernating him? Should I keep him in the garage? Or should I try housing him outside. Thank you for the input.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
all depends on your winter climate. First, leopards don't hibernate, so not an option. They also generally don't like temps below 60 and sunny, so if your temps drop below that then you need a plan. You can build a winter house with a heater, or house them in the garage which is what I do. How much effort and expense do you want to put into this?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I don't want to spend that much but I am willing to put in a as much effort as I need to.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keeping a leopard in the colder states does take a lot of money. They aren't the smallest species and will need to have a large heated enclosure for winter. If you can't spend that much money, maybe a smaller species that can live in a smaller enclosure or that does hibernate for winter would be better for you.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cost alot of money in winter? ? What my light bill was only 600-700 in the winter . Reptilian keeping isn't cheap by no means . But try having a welding shop too . Oil filled heaters, timers and thermostats are your best friends in winter .

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
My power company informs me every year that my electricity use is far beyond my neighbors in the winter. That's due to 5 UVB lights, one CHE, two filters and one aquarium heater. In the summer, with most of the crew outdoors and no air conditioner, our power usage is far below the neighbors. Does it average out? Nope.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If I house my leopard tortoise in the garage, as you do, what would I need to keep it warm? I’m in southern Ca but it’s been 40 outside and maybe 50 in my garage.
First of all you need to read this...then you need to figure out how you are going to keep him warm in the cool nights...I keep my African torts in here...100_6258.JPG
even in you garage you'll need something to keep him warm. you need to really do some research to understand just what this tortoise' requirements are...

The Best Way To Raise A Sulcata, Leopard, Or Star Tortoise

Tinaturner

Southern California
Thank you. I have read a lot on the Leopard Torts. I have a home with topsoil and hay inside and a UVB light for the day but I’m not sure what else for nighttime. Is she warm enough? Should I attach a warming mat to her plastic tub house? Or maybe electric hand warmers? Seems there are many ideas out there. Of course she loves to be out in the day to bask but too cold at night. Thank you again

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. I have read a lot on the Leopard Torts. I have a home with topsoil and hay inside and a UVB light for the day but I’m not sure what else for nighttime. Is she warm enough? Should I attach a warming mat to her plastic tub house? Or maybe electric hand warmers? Seems there are many ideas out there. Of course she loves to be out in the day to bask but too cold at night. Thank you again
This thread is over 7 years old....

Whatever you've been reading is all wrong if it told you to use soil and hay. Most of the info found out in the world for tortoise care is wrong.

What size leopard tortoise are we talking about? This will determine the advice you get.

Leopard tortoises need warm temperatures year round. Without proper housing and heat, they will easily get sick in a cold spell like what we are having right now.

Tinaturner

Southern California
This thread is over 7 years old....

Whatever you've been reading is all wrong if it told you to use soil and hay. Most of the info found out in the world for tortoise care is wrong.

What size leopard tortoise are we talking about? This will determine the advice you get.

Leopard tortoises need warm temperatures year round. Without proper housing and heat, they will easily get sick in a cold spell like what we are having right now.
Thank you again. She is 8”. She was a rescue we found in the road. This is very new to me and she is very sweet. She follows me everywhere outside. I’m trying to do the right thing. I appreciate your input. Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you again. She is 8”. She was a rescue we found in the road. This is very new to me and she is very sweet. She follows me everywhere outside. I’m trying to do the right thing. I appreciate your input. Thank you
At that size, she's right on the borderline for living outside full time, or still having a large indoor enclosure and going outside in fair weather. Since we are in the middle of winter, I would recommend a large indoor enclosure of at least 4x8 feet with all the proper heating and lighting.

You can begin building an insulated night house and when consistent warmer weather returns, she can move outside full time.

Questions are welcome. We are happy to help you with the details.