Leopard Tortoise vs Coconut fibre in already hot place.

ZahraE

Location (City and/or State)
Mombasa
Hey

I'm about to get Coconut fibre for my leopard tortoises enclosure. Literally getting it this week or might even come tomorrow.

However I'm thinking can it make the enclosure too hot for my baby? It's already super hot over here. Right now it's night and the temp here is 82℉/28°C and the humidity is 79%. During the day today it was 88℉/31°C so it gets pretty hot. Is it possible for him to feel too hot? Especially with the fibre as I know it stores alot of humidity.

Which one is better Coconut fibre or coconut peat and can I make peat using the fibre at home? Since I'm getting the fibre already. I know I might be asking dumb questions but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hey

I'm about to get Coconut fibre for my leopard tortoises enclosure. Literally getting it this week or might even come tomorrow.

However I'm thinking can it make the enclosure too hot for my baby? It's already super hot over here. Right now it's night and the temp here is 82℉/28°C and the humidity is 79%. During the day today it was 88℉/31°C so it gets pretty hot. Is it possible for him to feel too hot? Especially with the fibre as I know it stores alot of humidity.

Which one is better Coconut fibre or coconut peat and can I make peat using the fibre at home? Since I'm getting the fibre already. I know I might be asking dumb questions but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you.
Coco fiber will have no effect on the temperature inside your enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Like stated the coconut fiber is fine. If its stringy I would chop it up as stringy substrate can get wrapped around necks and legs.
If the enclosure gets over 90 all over then I would worry about finding a way to get a cooler spot the tort can retreat too. However the temps you mentioned so far should be fine.

ZahraE

Mombasa
Like stated the coconut fiber is fine. If its stringy I would chop it up as stringy substrate can get wrapped around necks and legs.
If the enclosure gets over 90 all over then I would worry about finding a way to get a cooler spot the tort can retreat too. However the temps you mentioned so far should be fine.

Thank you so much that's of so much help.