Leopard tortoise tried to breed with Sulcata tortoise

Gourd123

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
The topic of this thread is exactly that, my male Leopard tortoise, Martin, tried breeding with my female sulcata, Brownie. I'm not aware of their ages. I just want to know if this is normal or if this could indicate anything weird. Or even if there are any problems with this.
unknown.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm a purist and don't like the idea of two different species of opposite sexes living together. I personally wouldn't interbreed the species. And I would definitely keep a male and female of any species in separate enclosures. The above pairing has been done before and it has resulted in offspring. Is it common? No, but it has been done.

Jnics10

5 Year Member
Chicago
Your tortoise forum was so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The topic of this thread is exactly that, my male Leopard tortoise, Martin, tried breeding with my female sulcata, Brownie. I'm not aware of their ages. I just want to know if this is normal or if this could indicate anything weird. Or even if there are any problems with this.

Species should never be mixed. There are many problems with this. They should be separated ASAP.

Tortoise MasterMan

Utah
Interbreeding very rarely works because different tortoises eggs need different amounts of calcium, and your female is made to produce sulcata eggs, not leopard tortoise eggs.

bluewolf

Melbourne Florida
Species should never be mixed. There are many problems with this. They should be separated ASAP.

Am I missing something? I thought species weren’t to be raised together. What sick scientists are now doing leave torts alone please.

rcm454

10 Year Member!
An argument always carries more weight when it’s backed up with specifics. I agree in not crossing Tortoise breeds, but please give the pitfalls so we can learn something. I do not personally know and I’m seeing more hybrids all the time. Recently saw a Redfoot/Sulcata cross. 🤪