Leopard Tortoise Soft Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Ball

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm a new tortoise owner and I noticed a few days ago that Tamama's shell had become soft, well softer than usual anyway. He was about three months when I got him and that was four months ago.
He's been deteriorating since then. He's become soft to the touch (both carapace and plastron), there's discoloration and he's lost appetite and become lethargic.
I'm very worried about him obviously and I've been doing what I can and believe will help. Tamama is a very picky eater won't eat anything but spring mix and I've tried several foods like Mazuri, ZooMed Grassland, dandelions, collard and kale greens. Cactus and spring mix is about the only two things he'll eat and yes I've tried mixing the above with his staple food. Now that he's gotten sick he hasn't eaten.
I've been soaking him for two days now with calcium. I regularly soak him three times a week and sprinkle calcium to his food the same days. It's been about a week and I don't know what else to do. The temp is between 100 to 80 degrees with the humidity ranging from 30 to 60.
I apologize for the overload of info but I want to give as much as I can to help my little guy.
I thank you guys in advance.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using TortForum mobile app

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
What type of tort is he? That will help in determining a lot. Also, you need to get some electrolytes into him. Pedialite is a brand you can find at WalMart or Walgreens. Also, add some squash or carrot baby food into the soak. Let him soak in that for 30 mins twice daily. What UVb lighting were you using? How often does he get out in the sun?

Rice Ball

5 Year Member
Yes, I take him out for about three hours when I can. He does however hide in the shade and sleep when I put him out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
With the info given, I think this problem was created before you got your baby.

What did he weigh when you got him at three months? Now?

Have you soaked three times a week since you got him? Was it REALLY three times a week, or was it more like once or twice? I mean no offense, but this really can make a difference for a small tortoise.

When you bought him, was he on rabbit pellets with no water bowl and no hides?

Rice Ball

5 Year Member
Mm hm Tom since I got my tortis (I have three) I've come across your threads and read that particular one earlier this week. I like many others find them very informative and it's obvious you know what you're talking about. Anyway, I believe the youngest (Tokyo) fits that description I got him from a different seller than the other two. After having Tokyo for about two weeks he got sick and has been ever since but at the moment I'm concerned about Tamama since he's never had any issues before this and it's bad.

He is a leopard tortoise. Pedialyte you say? Okay I've heard of soaking in baby food when they're not eating but at the moment I have been soaking him in calcium since I want to give him as much of it as I can but I'll give that a try. Thank you.

I first weighed him in March and he was 30g, 32 in May and he's now back down to 30g.
None taken. I did a lot of research before getting them and found out that hatchlings need to be soaked three times a week for proper hydration so I began that routine since I got them and have continued to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.