Leopard Tortoise - Runny Nose Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMentz

5 Year Member
How can I treat my adult leopard tortoise who's showing signs of runny nose syndrome / flu like symptoms?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi AMentz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Before we can help you, we need to know more about your tortoise and how you are taking care of it.

And before you take any advice about using Baytril (Enroflaxicin), be aware that some leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril and shouldn't be given it.

Indoors or outside?
Substrate?
Lighting?

If you could show us a picture, that might help too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne's right. We'd need a lot more info to be able to give you any insight.

The first step is to figure out what caused the problem and fix that.
The next thing would be to tweak some husbandry parameters to try and give your leopard the best chance of recovery.
Finally, if you can find a good tortoise vet near you, take your tortoise in and start working with them right away.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Hope its nothing serious but from what I hear out of a lot of exotic vets that seem not to know as much as they would have you to believe, "let's give'm some baytril!".. I wish there were more tort expert vets around, at least in my part of the country. I hated give'n Cooper them shots, everytime it almost had me in tears, and yes I AM A MAN! I just hated grab'n his leg and doing it knowing I was hurting him, all be it for a good reason, even tho the reason was my fault due to my ignorance of not reading enough about tort husbandry. Even to this day he hates his legs being bumped or anything, and before it didn't bother him. Sorry, I just go on and on. I just hated it sooo. Good luck with your tort, I pray its nothing serious!! What substrate are u using? Have a great day! :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Without more information...all I can say is soak him daily in warm water, and make sure he is kept very warm...above 80 at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.