Leopard Tortoise: Pellet Addiction

yusufning

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hi everyone,

Background information:
so I have a leopard tortoise which Ive kept for about 1.5 yrs. When I bought him he was arond 130grams and now he is arond 250grams.

The problem:
The first month he was fine (eating all sorts of greens and vegetables). Then he got sick with runny nose for about 2 months after a vet treated him. During his sickness, he wont eat any greens so the doctor said give him pellets because its tastier. And yes he ate the pellets.

But the problem starts when he recovered. Since then he will not eat any greens (for example collard greens or romaine) like literally wont eat anything except pellets unless I starved him (not feed him for a couple of days, then he would eat abit of greens but even then its only little). The only greens that he seem interested is mulberry leaves, but even then its only little.

Funny thing, I have 3 other leopards which are ravenous green eater and does not like pellets.

Anyone had this experience before?

Thank you,
Yusuf

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
You may try chopping up the greens and mixing it into the pellets until he starts eating the greens without the pellets. Or, you could just continue with the “tough love”, and feed nothing but pellets. They can realistically go months without eating, and will not starve themselves.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I would just start mixing it up in the greens and using less and less. I do use some mazuri with every meal. I agree with the tough love. They’ll eat when they get hungry.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What kind of pellets? If the pellets are quality, then I don't think you necessarily have a problem that requires forcing the issue. If anything, it sounds like he's a slow grower and a good quality 'chow' could help with that.