Leopard tortoise not growing

Parais11

Location (City and/or State)
Plainview ny
F6F0AAE1-962E-4717-80E6-D72CE232FAE0.jpeg 2ED8A596-FA95-414D-B16F-886A80D46B0F.jpeg DB9B3242-824D-4DA1-A9A2-F842F52CD4B1.jpeg 447970F6-BF9F-4EBB-8C87-24D6CB0E0B68.jpeg 12CFFD0F-7E30-44CB-A9F1-A72DF58E8559.jpeg I have asked this about a month ago, and although there is some weight gain, I feel like my South African leopard tortoise isn’t growing. When I got him, he weighed in at 44 grams (February 19). As of today (May 7) he weighs 72 grams. I was told he was born in October 2018 and that these tortoises grow slower than the babcocki, but I can’t find that information anywhere to verify it. He is being raised in a closed chamber enclosure with UVB and an MVB light. The enclosure varies from 90° to 79° and the basking area gets close to 100° sometimes a little more. I feed him all sorts of greens, dandelion, spring mix, with the grass clippings and Mazuri sprinkled on top every other feeding. He does seem to eat and he’s very active. I also soak him every day for at least 20 minutes and that’s where he goes to the bathroom. Any advice or opinions on his growth, does there seem to be something wrong here or is this normal. The First four pictures are as of today and the last picture was the day I got him.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Perhaps he was started in a dry enclosure and became dehydrated, this can hinder weight gain. Does he have any breathing problems, nasal discharge, does he poop and pee and eat well?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have had a few tortoises not keep pace with all the others from the same clutch, some get bigger faster, others grow more slow. I frankly don't weigh them that much. I just seek to see the growth seam, and that their weight feels right for their size. I don't think your tortoise is any outlier from the average.

Parais11

Plainview ny
Thanks for the replies. He eats well and does his business well. Also is very active. I guess he may just be a slow grower. I do notice the growth lines so I guess he is growing.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Thanks for the replies. He eats well and does his business well. Also is very active. I guess he may just be a slow grower. I do notice the growth lines so I guess he is growing.
I think your good to go then, torts grow at different rates aswell:D

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I didn't hear you mention humidity... He has a little pyramiding starting. when that happens you won't see the growth because it's upward instead of outward. But the fact that he is gaining weight is always a good thing. I would watch the variance in temperature in your enclosure. they need a way to get out of the heat and if it's 90 everywhere they can't cool down. I would make sure that one corner is always around 82. A digital thermometer / hygrometer with a corded probe is an asset in raising babies. Get several of them since they're so cheap only about $12 each on Amazon. You can hang the probe right above the cool area(stable temperature no less than 80 in deepest, darkest corner) at Shell height. I would hang another as close to the heat lamp as possible without touching it at Shell height. Realize that whatever temperature you show on that it's going to be even higher directly under the bulb. If you can't get that temperature under the bulb at shell height less than 105 and still keep more than 80 in the corner then raise the bulb temperature to what you need to get that 80 in the corner and put a rock directly under the bulb that he can't climb up on. That way he can't inadvertently get himself up underneath that bulb and cook himself but he'll still get the 105 he needs around The Rock. That takes care of the temperature. The reason I mention this is because I'm going to say next to raise the humidity and if you raise the humidity and the temperatures are too low in that corner then he can get sick. High temperatures and high humidity will result in a very smooth healthy tortoise. But low humidity high heat causes pyramiding. That won't kill him but it'll make him top-heavy and he won't be able to fix himself if he gets knocked over in adulthood. High humidity and low heat can cause respiratory infection. You want high heat (never less than 80)and high humidity (over 65). If you're using one of those button type dial thermometers throw it out. It'll seem like it's working sometimes but then it'll go out. they're very inconsistent. Especially when humidity is involved. I'll show you a picture of my tortoise raised with no humidity.... And for an example of high humidity tortoises I'll refer you to @Peliroja32 who has three VERY smooth leopard tortoises raise from hatchlings like yours. It's not too late to correct the very little bit of puramiding that is starting on yours.

Attachments

• IMG_20150907_141348.jpg
    IMG_20150907_141348.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Parais11

Plainview ny
I have the enclosure at 70-80 % humidity. The hot end is 92 and the coolest corner is 78. The basking spot is around 100-105. Most of the enclosure is in the mid 80’s. I also soak him daily for 20 minutes. I use multiple thermometers with probes and I have a temp gun I use as well. Not saying I know all, but I have done my research and have tried to get all the marks that these animals need. I am not sure about the pyramiding, he isn’t really having any. But I appreciate the advice either way. I have seen some nasty pyramiding in these leopards. If I can avoid it, I am going to. Although the jury is out of it has to do with the genes and bloodlines but I will definitely keep it nice and humid. As for everything else, not sure what I can change. In the 2.5 months that I have had him, he has gained 25 grams. Is that enough or does that seem low? I’ve seen some other 7-8 month olds that look 2-3 times the size of mine.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Sounds good. Perhaps the pyramiding that I see was from the breeder. It kind of looks recent though. It could be he was small to begin with. if you're really getting the temperatures and humidity that you say you're getting then I believe he'll be fine and he'll grow. it's probably just that he's small and the amount of gain that you'll see is proportional to the amount of weight he is.
The best way to get the most out of this forum is to post pictures of your enclosures and ask for advice on how to improve it. If he's not growing because of something in your enclosure we'll spot it. Sorry I wasn't able to help you more. Check out @Peliroja32 leopard tortoise thread. She has weights on her babies and you can compare yours to hers. Hersh were raised high humidity.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I have the enclosure at 70-80 % humidity. The hot end is 92 and the coolest corner is 78. The basking spot is around 100-105. Most of the enclosure is in the mid 80’s. I also soak him daily for 20 minutes. I use multiple thermometers with probes and I have a temp gun I use as well. Not saying I know all, but I have done my research and have tried to get all the marks that these animals need. I am not sure about the pyramiding, he isn’t really having any. But I appreciate the advice either way. I have seen some nasty pyramiding in these leopards. If I can avoid it, I am going to. Although the jury is out of it has to do with the genes and bloodlines but I will definitely keep it nice and humid. As for everything else, not sure what I can change. In the 2.5 months that I have had him, he has gained 25 grams. Is that enough or does that seem low? I’ve seen some other 7-8 month olds that look 2-3 times the size of mine.

You know....I wasn't thinking correctly. That pyramiding looks old. New growth is smooth. Sorry, it's been a backwards day. I think he's doing fine and he'll start to gain more and more as he gets bigger.