Leopard Tortoise mouth issue

Boiddude

Location (City and/or State)
Chandler
I have a tortoise who is around 10 years old. She always makes noises when eating with her beak clicking. Is this normal? I think I forgot to add water to her dish in her enclosure yesterday and it's around 97 fahrenheit in Arizona. This morning her upper beak was actually curled inside her lower one and she couldn't fully close her mouth. I gave her water and splashed some in the sides of her mouth and it seemed to help. When I left she was able to close her mouth. Is this to be expected? I just took her outside about a week ago but she's primarily been an indoor tortoise. She's under my patio so she doesn't get much direct sunlight until around 6 or 7.

Attachments

• 20210519_071716.jpg
    20210519_071716.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have a tortoise who is around 10 years old. She always makes noises when eating with her beak clicking. Is this normal? I think I forgot to add water to her dish in her enclosure yesterday and it's around 97 fahrenheit in Arizona. This morning her upper beak was actually curled inside her lower one and she couldn't fully close her mouth. I gave her water and splashed some in the sides of her mouth and it seemed to help. When I left she was able to close her mouth. Is this to be expected? I just took her outside about a week ago but she's primarily been an indoor tortoise. She's under my patio so she doesn't get much direct sunlight until around 6 or 7.
The clicking is NOT normal. The tortoise's upper beak is too long (overgrown) preventing the tortoise from biting properly and it needs to be trimmed back to its normal shape, preferably by a qualified exotics vet.