Leopard Tortoise Missing Nail

dilpreet1

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello, I own 2 baby leopard tortoises, one of them has lost 3 nails on his left foot. I am a first time tortoise mummy and would appreciate any help. Thank youu

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
are you housing them together? can you post pictures of them and their enclosure(s)?

dilpreet1

London
are you housing them together? can you post pictures of them and their enclosure(s)?
Hey, this is a pic of them and their enclosure :)

Attachments

• IMG-4303.jpg
    IMG-4303.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG-5461.jpg
    IMG-5461.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 15

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
They shouldn't be housed together. The one losing his nails may be doing so because of bullying stress. It also looks very dry. what is your humidity level at?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Torts should never be kept in pairs.
One becomes dominant and will bully the other, starting with staring, following, nudging, mounting (often mistaken for affection) hogging the food and best basking spot etc. Eventually it becomes more aggressive with barging, tipping over and biting. It is very stressful for torts to shares small spaces - which can cause illness as well as injury. They are territorial and do not like or need company - even in the wild they are solitary.
Unfortunately pet shops and breeders who are only looking for profit do not warn customers about that.
My own leopard immediately reacts if I am in his room and will try to barge me out of there.
They will be much happier and safer in their own enclosures.
Meanwhile if your torts foot is bleeding where he loses nails you need to make sure it doesn't become infected.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is the caresheet you need to help you make sure your set up is right and will advise you about substrate, diet, temps, humidity etc