Leopard tortoise hatchling with white lines on shell

Jackiethetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Beacon, NY
Hi everyone, new tortoise mom here, we’ve had Jackie the tortoise for about 2 months now. She has grown significantly since she first arrived. Today was a beautiful day in New York and I’m trying to get her accustomed to being outside for the summer. I am noticing white in between her shell, I’m not sure if this is from growing or dehydration? She looks dry almost, but she has a great dish where she bathes for a good part of the day and I’m not sure. Any more experienced owners care to take a look? Should I be scrubbing her shell gently?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Some photos would help.

Too much time outside is bad for babies. They should only be out of their humid enclosed chamber for about an hour per day, with a soak on the way back in. Having her outside long term shouldn't happen until much later.

Jackiethetortoise

Beacon, NY
Hi everyone, new tortoise mom here, we’ve had Jackie the tortoise for about 2 months now. She has grown significantly since she first arrived. Today was a beautiful day in New York and I’m trying to get her accustomed to being outside for the summer. I am noticing white in between her shell, I’m not sure if this is from growing or dehydration? She looks dry almost, but she has a great dish where she bathes for a good part of the day and I’m not sure. Any more experienced owners care to take a look? Should I be scrubbing her shell gently?

Attachments

• 1921A392-7D79-4FD4-BCCF-8328248DD2BA.jpeg
    1921A392-7D79-4FD4-BCCF-8328248DD2BA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
  • 1E36C6D9-AFB6-440F-A8C3-A19C59A565E7.jpeg
    1E36C6D9-AFB6-440F-A8C3-A19C59A565E7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
  • 11CCBA31-9F21-4892-94DA-BBAC6C153B94.jpeg
    11CCBA31-9F21-4892-94DA-BBAC6C153B94.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It could just be growth lines.
I wouldn't scrub them, but baby warm daily soaks will hydrate her if she's dry.

Jackiethetortoise

Beacon, NY
Some photos would help.

Too much time outside is bad for babies. They should only be out of their humid enclosed chamber for about an hour per day, with a soak on the way back in. Having her outside long term shouldn't happen until much later.

Pictures?
Sorry just posted some pictures, I thought I posted in the original post, I usually only take her out for about an hour or an hour and a half after work. Just the sun was really shining today and it was almost 90 degrees here and I was laying next to her and noticed the white all around her shell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's new growth that looks very dry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good to know, thank you. I’m doing soaks every 2-3 days since she bathes in her little dish for a couple of hours a day but I will increase to daily
Are you housing the tortoise in a dry environment?
Do you rinse the tortoise with tap water or spray tap water in the enclosure?

lyingcat8

Indianapolis
Are you housing the tortoise in a dry environment?
Do you rinse the tortoise with tap water or spray tap water in the enclosure?
@Tom - curious about this question — is tap water harmful due to the minerals or some other additives?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom - curious about this question — is tap water harmful due to the minerals or some other additives?
If it is safe for people to drink and bathe in, then it is safe for the tortoises. Spraying tap water around the enclosure or on the tortoise will cause hard water stains due to the mineral content. This is why I use collected rainwater, distilled, or RO water for spraying and rinsing the tortoises after a soak. No minerals to leave behind after evaporation in those three. Regular mineralized water, like tap, should be used for drinking and soaking.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Up the humidity in the enclosure whether its spraying the outdoor enclosure or adding water to the indoor enclosure.
The lines are new growth lines normal. Most people just use their regular tap water.