Leopard tortoise groups. How many?

Nynomad

Location (City and/or State)
Westchester NY
I do realize even in groups ( more than 2) some times they will require separation.
But what size groups have worked for you? And if known how many males/females were In the group.

Would like to have a group that gets along of course but if not. I have lots of room if needed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had 2.4 at one time and the males got along just fine. But I now have 1.1 SA leopards and when I added a young male fighting ensued. So I put him in with the 1.3 babcocks. No dice, fighting ensued! So I'm now trying to figure out how to separate the SA yard to give him his own space.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I currently have a 1 male to 3 female ratio for both types of leopards and it has been good for me. I wouldn't go any less than 1.2 since the males are usually relentless breeders.

When considering group dynamics, my advice is to recommend that you always be prepared to separate individual group members no matter what the m/f ratio is.

Nynomad

Westchester NY
Thanks for you're replys.
I was hoping for 1.2 or maybe 1.3. Babs.
I'm always ready for a new enclosure because I always have spares in case anything breaks.

I'm still undecided which way I want to go. I really want more than 1. But would prefer no more than two enclosures. And I'm usually not very good at adopting out. But am a sucker for taking in adoptees... Up to a limit.

I work with dog rescue (Boston Terriers ) and all my dogs were failed fosters. I just fall in love with them during their trial period.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have one male and two females and they get along fantastic. Absolutely no issues.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like 1.3, but that is not to say that other ratios can't work. I've also seen larger groups of a mix of all sorts of them. I know one guy who keeps about 15 of them all together. Mixed sexes.

Nynomad

Westchester NY
I like 1.3, but that is not to say that other ratios can't work. I've also seen larger groups of a mix of all sorts of them. I know one guy who keeps about 15 of them all together. Mixed sexes.

15 yikes!

Might be a dumb question. But how do I go about finding a 1.3 group.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
15 yikes!

Might be a dumb question. But how do I go about finding a 1.3 group.

Many ways to do it.

Adults come up for sale from time to time. Females that are in good shape go for a premium.

You can buy a bunch of babies and raise them all up, then keep your favorites. I bought 36 Gpp. Sold 24 and kept 12. 9 of the 12 ended up male, so I sold off the surplus males. I now have 2.3 lovely SA leopards. The males live all alone in their own enclosures most of the time, but the 3 girls get along famously.

Nynomad

Westchester NY
I was thinking about buying a bunch of babies. But thought. There must be a better way. Maybe not.

Thanks for your reply Tom.