Leopard tortoise face scale missing

Jinxtheclown

Hello all I am new to this forum I hope you all can give me some insight into a new and distressing development in the life of our little leopard tortoise "LittleFoot".
Yesterday I noticed one of his scales I his face directly above his nares is gone. The area in question is now stark white. I cannot tell if this is bone or just the exposed skin under the scale. I surveyed his environment for hazards and could find nothing obvious. I did move his basking light further away for fear that this may be a heat related injury but I am not sure. Has anyone seen similar conditions before? Any suggestions on treatment? Should I be taking infection precautions? Will this scale grow back or is he scarred for life? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I have attached a photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I think this is normal shedding. One of my Leo's lost one, and then the other and the scale underneath was very pale but have since darkened back to their original color and both scales look as though she never shed them. As far as I can tell my two other Leo's have not yet shed any of their head scales but they did shed their neck skin and when they did it was a much lighter color as well and I thought something was wrong but I was told here, that it was just normal shedding. Hope that helps. :)

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Will this scale grow back or is he scarred for life?

Well, if the tort is a male he will have a great "I got this scar from" story :p

I would not worry, if you have gone over the enclosure to assure there are not areas that can cause injury, then he likely just popped the spot right off as part of shedding....

Beautiful tort by the way..