Leopard tortoise enclosure change.

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
Thank you.
I’m probably gonna check my local Petsmart and get one locally. Shipping takes an eternity during these times and I don’t want to wait any longer and have my little guy in inadequate conditions lol.
Any suggestions on uvb? Been seeing a lot of talk about T-5 HO or something like that?
Yea, the quicker the better. They should have something I would think... hopefully yours are better than mine. My petsmarts are picked kind of clean at the moment. Thankfully all I needed was fish food lol. And I have prime on amazon so I know from experience they have been getting better on their shipping times again just incase its a last resort for you to have something shipped. Just have to keep an eye on the date it says on the pages.

Yes get a strip bulb and make sure its the HO type. No coils. It can hurt our babies little eyes ?
I have the 18 inch one and it works great!

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
Yea, the quicker the better. They should have something I would think... hopefully yours are better than mine. My petsmarts are picked kind of clean at the moment. Thankfully all I needed was fish food lol. And I have prime on amazon so I know from experience they have been getting better on their shipping times again just incase its a last resort for you to have something shipped. Just have to keep an eye on the date it says on the pages.

Yes get a strip bulb and make sure its the HO type. No coils. It can hurt our babies little eyes ?
I have the 18 inch one and it works great!
Don’t have those prime luxuries, unfortunately haha

btw, if you don’t mind me asking, what’s the staple diet you use for your leopard? Currently have been feeding kale, mustard,collard, and dandelion greens with some mushed up Mazuri every 3 days. I’ve don’t everything wrong so far with enclosures and lighting that I’m afraid I’m not feeling right as well lol. Just recently bought some grazing mix from tortoise supply so I’m waiting for it to sprout and then proceed to feeding that mix. Any ideas, suggestions?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Don’t have those prime luxuries, unfortunately haha

btw, if you don’t mind me asking, what’s the staple diet you use for your leopard? Currently have been feeding kale, mustard,collard, and dandelion greens with some mushed up Mazuri every 3 days. I’ve don’t everything wrong so far with enclosures and lighting that I’m afraid I’m not feeling right as well lol. Just recently bought some grazing mix from tortoise supply so I’m waiting for it to sprout and then proceed to feeding that mix. Any ideas, suggestions?
I have some of that mix that I have growing in his enclosure and he snacks on that, but as for normal diet, I have both original mazuri and the zoomed and I mix up 2 pellets a piece each day with his greens. Those consist of a variety that I change up every day, but they are wheatgrass, dandelion leaves and sometimes a flower or 2 if he's been good ?, radicchio, arugula, red butter lettuce, bok choy, collard greens, mustard greens, wild lettuce, then i have stuffs i bought from Kapidolo Farms that i mix in, which is plantain, mulberry leaves, rose petals, hibiscus flowers, spineless cactus chips, red clover, dried dandelion if im out of regular, alfalfa, nettle, moringa... i sprinkle nutrobal on it twice a week.

It seems like a lot, but i just want him to have a variety and lots of good fiber.

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
I have some of that mix that I have growing in his enclosure and he snacks on that, but as for normal diet, I have both original mazuri and the zoomed and I mix up 2 pellets a piece each day with his greens. Those consist of a variety that I change up every day, but they are wheatgrass, dandelion leaves and sometimes a flower or 2 if he's been good ?, radicchio, arugula, red butter lettuce, bok choy, collard greens, mustard greens, wild lettuce, then i have stuffs i bought from Kapidolo Farms that i mix in, which is plantain, mulberry leaves, rose petals, hibiscus flowers, spineless cactus chips, red clover, dried dandelion if im out of regular, alfalfa, nettle, moringa... i sprinkle nutrobal on it twice a week.

It seems like a lot, but i just want him to have a variety and lots of good fiber.
Love the variety!! Kapidolo, is that an online website? Definitely needed more flowers so thank you for that! Going to start implementing these right away! Out of curiosity, what kind of substrate do you use? I currently have a mix of organic potting mix, peat moss and cypress mulch.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Love the variety!! Kapidolo, is that an online website? Definitely needed more flowers so thank you for that! Going to start implementing these right away! Out of curiosity, what kind of substrate do you use? I currently have a mix of organic potting mix, peat moss and cypress mulch.
Yea they have a website : https://kapidolofarms.com/

they are also a member on here ? he has all kinds of great stuff! If you are not able to grow it yourself and have to rely on the grocery store, his dried goods are the way to go with adding the needed variety. It might take a bit for your baby to eat some of it, but mine eventually ate it like a champ.

I use 75% orchid bark and 25% cypress mulch. I ran out of orchid part way through lol. I love both of them, and cypress is pretty easy and cheap to find at a hardware store or a plant nursery. And both of them hold humidity so well! I added water when I first started the enclosure up and mixed it all up and now every morning I just stray it with a pump mister to dampen what my che has dried and mix it up a bit every so many days, but just doing that my humidity stays no lower than 91% and its not swampy either. Usually in most areas its actually up at 97%

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
Yea they have a website : https://kapidolofarms.com/

they are also a member on here ? he has all kinds of great stuff! If you are not able to grow it yourself and have to rely on the grocery store, his dried goods are the way to go with adding the needed variety. It might take a bit for your baby to eat some of it, but mine eventually ate it like a champ.

I use 75% orchid bark and 25% cypress mulch. I ran out of orchid part way through lol. I love both of them, and cypress is pretty easy and cheap to find at a hardware store or a plant nursery. And both of them hold humidity so well! I added water when I first started the enclosure up and mixed it all up and now every morning I just stray it with a pump mister to dampen what my che has dried and mix it up a bit every so many days, but just doing that my humidity stays no lower than 91% and its not swampy either. Usually in most areas its actually up at 97%
And your seeds still grow with just those two?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
And your seeds still grow with just those two?
Yea, really well. I think its the cypress though honestly. Even my pothos has grown out of its pot and started putting extra roots into the mulch. The grass does really well, but the other seeds only last a couple of weeks before he eats/ tramples them. Heres a picture of some of it growing in his enclosure taken with my camera i have in there. 2CAA8E954DFB_1588261425964.png

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
Yea, really well. I think its the cypress though honestly. Even my pothos has grown out of its pot and started putting extra roots into the mulch. The grass does really well, but the other seeds only last a couple of weeks before he eats/ tramples them. Heres a picture of some of it growing in his enclosure taken with my camera i have in there. View attachment 295689
Dope enclosure!! Definitely need to add more to mine haha. Do you have social media for your tortoise? Definitely interested is seeing yours over the years!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Dope enclosure!! Definitely need to add more to mine haha. Do you have social media for your tortoise? Definitely interested is seeing yours over the years!
Haha no, I don't even have it for me except this forum haha. I just have it because my husband knew id miss him when I went back to work, so he bought it for me, so now i can log on any time!

And thanks! Its worked out really well ? he's definitely grown a lot over these last couple months

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
Haha no, I don't even have it for me except this forum haha. I just have it because my husband knew id miss him when I went back to work, so he bought it for me, so now i can log on any time!

And thanks! Its worked out really well ? he's definitely grown a lot over these last couple months
That’s unfortunate lol. Might invest in a camera as well, seems like a good thing to have on occasions when I’m away.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
That’s unfortunate lol. Might invest in a camera as well, seems like a good thing to have on occasions when I’m away.
I love mine! I can see all the gauges, I can see when he eats because I have a motion sensor alertness it, so I know he's a pig lol, and it allows me to know his habits and his personality when he doesn't know I'm there lol. He does some goofy stuff when no one is around

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
I love mine! I can see all the gauges, I can see when he eats because I have a motion sensor alertness it, so I know he's a pig lol, and it allows me to know his habits and his personality when he doesn't know I'm there lol. He does some goofy stuff when no one is around
Haha I love it! Now I won’t have to stand endlessly by the enclosure lol

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome! Avoid Peat Moss for a substrate because it has been shown to contribute to shell rot.