Leopard tortoise central California

Volksdaven

Location (City and/or State)
Modesto, CA
Hello, I am looking for specific experience for outdoor care of juvenile leopard tortoise in Central Valley California, zone 9a. He is about 6in. I plan to build an enclosure outside with a heated hide. I see a lot of threads. However, none specific to my area. Any help/information is greatly appreciated.IMG_20210103_092020.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hello, I am looking for specific experience for outdoor care of juvenile leopard tortoise in Central Valley California, zone 9a. He is about 6in. I plan to build an enclosure outside with a heated hide. I see a lot of threads. However, none specific to my area. Any help/information is greatly appreciated.View attachment 314576
Here's a post I did about the outdoor enclosure I made for my Burmese Stars. I live in the exact climate as you just north of you. I would set up Leopard tortoises the exact same way. I have had the group in this enclosure for 3 years now and am very happy with how everything works and how the tortoises are doing.

Volksdaven

Modesto, CA
Here's a post I did about the outdoor enclosure I made for my Burmese Stars. I live in the exact climate as you just north of you. I would set up Leopard tortoises the exact same way. I have had the group in this enclosure for 3 years now and am very happy with how everything works and how the tortoises are doing.

That's nice. Are they outdoor year round?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I am looking for specific experience for outdoor care of juvenile leopard tortoise in Central Valley California, zone 9a. He is about 6in. I plan to build an enclosure outside with a heated hide. I see a lot of threads. However, none specific to my area. Any help/information is greatly appreciated.View attachment 314576
At 6 inches, I would have an outdoor enclosure, and a large indoor closed chamber. Use the outdoor enclosure during nice weather, and the indoor enclosure for winter and night time. I'd grow him another 2 or 3 inches before moving outside full time.

Whenever you do make the move to outside full time, you'll need something like this:

Volksdaven

Modesto, CA
At 6 inches, I would have an outdoor enclosure, and a large indoor closed chamber. Use the outdoor enclosure during nice weather, and the indoor enclosure for winter and night time. I'd grow him another 2 or 3 inches before moving outside full time.

Whenever you do make the move to outside full time, you'll need something like this:
I was checking that out, previously. Pretty slick. I am still trying to determine best location and way to provide shelter/power if/when needed.