Leopard Tortoise Appearing to Turn White on Skin Very Fast Growth

leotortoise1

Hi,

I have a 1 year 4 months Leopard Tortoise who appears to be turning white. I was away on business and my neighbor watched him the past 2 months and upon my return I've noticed a huge growth spurt, much more pyramiding at his top areas (I got him around 8 months and it had already started but I try hard to keep to work it, and his darker spots on the shell have gone away. On his head area, the part primarily inside his shell is much darker than the other end that would be under lights, etc. I returned yesterday and I swear today that his head is even whiter because I never remember seeing the dark arrow marking so sharply before today. I also noticed he seems to want to sit right under the CHE which he didn't do before.

He is active, eating, knocking on his enclosure when he sees me to be held. etc.so in that way he seems fine?

My neighbor said they did the soaks and calcium supplements normally. He's fed mazuri 2x week (Santa Barbara Smart and Final Spring Salad Mix with Cactus and Arugula also on alternating days).

His enclosure has damp side always 70% + humidity at 90-95 degrees, the cooler side 79 degrees. His hide is half on the warming pad, half off and always damp. He tends to push his hide around depending on where he wants to be. I have a showcase closed chamber cage and lights (MVB few hours each day, CHE at night set on thermostat, UV on all day). Because I was gone I'm just not so sure how accurate they were with everything I had been doing. He just really looks different to me today than yesterday so I thought I'd ask the question.

I'm in Southern California and is not hot, but I have him sunning for about 20 minutes.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_7153.JPG
    IMG_7153.JPG
    683.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_7156.JPG
    IMG_7156.JPG
    805.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_7157.JPG
    IMG_7157.JPG
    647 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_7154.JPG
    IMG_7154.JPG
    662.1 KB · Views: 175

leotortoise1

Thank you so much Tom, I've tried to follow your posts as close as possible to take care of him. I was just so startled by how white half his head was today - maybe I just didn't notice it yesterday when I got back. It's seems like he's getting a reverse tan, the parts under the lights seem to be getting lighter, but the areas tucked into his shell are still much darker. I was going to try and look for a different cage where I can use radiant heat pad that I read about in your experiment so he doesn't heat his shell directly so hot anymore. Thanks again I feel so much better he's such a fun little guy.

leotortoise1

My neighbor just came by to check on him and apparently they didn't realize he needed his calcium supplement mixed into his mazuri and thought it was just a medicine for him in case it was needed (I took over a ton of his stuff and his enclosure when I had to leave). Could this be contributing - is there anything I need to do or supplement him to fix it? Is there anything else that not having his calcium after having regularly could cause that I should watch for? She confirmed that he was played with but they didn't put him outside at all because they were nervous. I'm afraid he may not have had his calcium in weeks but he's acting completely normal. Thank you so sorry to post again she just told me.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
No worries buddy. Your tort is just fine withoit the calcium powder :cool:
Your torts white growth looks stunning. I would love a light leopard like this.

Take a deep breath, all is well ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My neighbor just came by to check on him and apparently they didn't realize he needed his calcium supplement mixed into his mazuri and thought it was just a medicine for him in case it was needed (I took over a ton of his stuff and his enclosure when I had to leave). Could this be contributing - is there anything I need to do or supplement him to fix it? Is there anything else that not having his calcium after having regularly could cause that I should watch for? She confirmed that he was played with but they didn't put him outside at all because they were nervous. I'm afraid he may not have had his calcium in weeks but he's acting completely normal. Thank you so sorry to post again she just told me.

Mazuri has enough calcium by itself. It is a balanced food. By adding calcium to Mazuri, you are upsetting that balance. Save the calcium for the days when you feed grocery store greens.

This would not cause the light colors you are seeing.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I have sulcatas, and I've noticed that my torts also have that whitish look on the front part of their faces. Their house setup has all the right temps and humidity. So, I figured it was exposure to the chilly weather everytime I opened their door. I'm not worried about it, but I wondered what it was. Then I realized it had to be the brief drafts and the temporary drop of temps in their house cause it went away when I gave them warm soaks. Lifting two of them who weigh 72+ pounds was no joke! But, I had to see if it was because of the cold. I believe it was, and that's what I think it is with your Leo. Btw, he's absolutely gorgeous!!!

leotortoise1

Wow thank you for all the kind words I had no idea his coloring was that nice. I'm a newbie so not really sure what they're supposed to look like only know he's as sweet and personable as a dog, He banged against the cage door to be held the first day and half I got back in town every time he saw me (I know, not the best habit I've accidentally taught him). @Tom thank you for telling me that about the mazuri mash, I for sure have been doing that wrong so I'll change that immediately and only supplement on the greens. Hopefully I won't have questions again until it's time to move him for real outside when he outgrows the indoor enclosures. Thanks again everyone I feel so relieved. Happy weekend!

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
how is he now? i think the uneven skin color is due to shedding. the light areas are new skin, and dark areas are still old skin. since torts shed in bits and pieces, this uneven color happens every now and then. i was worried before too when i saw these uneven skin patches on mine, but later realized what was happening.

as for the shell, you are lucky to have such a light shelled leopard. i would trade my two regular colored leos for that. Lol. just kidding, i do love them.

leotortoise1

He's great @J.P. thanks for asking - and yes, I think you're right he may have been shedding because his head looks back to normal now too and he is growing like crazy :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've noticed when you get them outside they darken up . My little leopard Clay was getting lighter . So I moved him to a buddies house where he has a nice big enclosure with another one of my leopards . Trying to keep all my tortoises outside year round . My leopards will move back home when I build a outdoor enclosure here .

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
I've noticed when you get them outside they darken up ..

i have observd this too, but it probably has more to do with the dirt from oudoor pens than beig exposed to the sun. i say this because the light areas on their shell as well as on their skin look bright after a good scrub down.