Leopard Tortiose Care

Justin C.

Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit, MI
Looking to adopt a (or more) Leopard Tortoise and am looking for more information. Unlike the Russian, there is very little and/or different details out there.

1. Actual adult size (length and weight)
2. Growth rate (hatchling => adult, how long)
3. Single or can there be 2 or 3 kept together
4. Care level (easy, medium, hard)
5. Care difference compared with a Russian (not size, but total care requirements)
6. Is there a different species (or sex) of Leopards that creates smaller to larger ones

There are more questions, but I will save them for later if I decide to move forward with adoption.

Thanks,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you checked out the "important threads" at the top of the Leopard section. You may find answers there.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Variable. Depends on the genetic make up of yours. Most of the ones in America are mixes from several localities. Anywhere from 12-20" is feasible.
2. Too many variables. For, humidity, hydration, temps, how it was started as a hatchling, etc... Anywhere from 2-20 years to reach "adult" size.
3. Singles are best. Groups are usually okay. Pairs can often be a problem. Sometimes adult males will fight, other times they get along. Females rarely fight.
4. This is subjective and depends on your climate and set up. What seems easy to one person seems like a lot of work to another. In a decent climate with a good set up, you'd be looking at 5-10 minutes of general maintenance a day, with an occasional day of 1 or 2 hours of maintenance to clean out the night box and such. Its really not any different than any other species.
5. Similar diet to a russian, but you'll need a bigger enclosure indoors and out. Temperatures are quite a bit different too in that the leopard needs a higher overall ambient and higher night temps.
6. South African leopards get bigger than "regular" leopards, but those are harder to find and more expensive.

Wartortle

Southern California (Simi Valley)
1: Definitely depends on many factors. If possible, ask to see the size of the parents.
2: Most people say that leopards reach adulthood from 8-12 years depending on diet and conditions as stated by Tom.
3: IF you do a single, it would be best. Make sure you have more than enough space for multiples.
4: I'd say care level is hard if you get a hatchling, which you probably will. They require daily baths (soakings), you need to get them used to different foods, your humidity level must be above 80%, etc. Adults are easier.
5&6 same as what tom said.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I like how Tom answers..

1. Tom covered this
2. My 2 year old male who was started humid hit 8" a few weeks after his 2nd birthday. I've heard some say they consider a 12" male to be large, so that would mean my guy could be full grown in 2 1/2- 3 years... we'll see.
I have another leopard that wasn't started with humid chambers. He is 10-11 months old, 3" and 70 grams. Eats great, growing smooth, active...just really slow growing. He's been kept humid since I got him at a few months old but I'd say that's quite the comparison for you in time it takes to grow. I have a 2 month old humid started baby that is bigger than him...
3. Singles really are best. I notice differences when they housed alone, in a pair or in a group. Plus when you get them as a baby you don't know what gender you'll end up with. Right now I have 2:1:2 and I'm praying the 2 small ones are females to give me a 2:3 ratio.
4. Raising a leopard baby hot and humid to prevent pyramiding takes much more work than putting an adult russian in an outdoor pen. But this will vary with opinion. I've enjoyed doing it but now that my 3 larger juveniles are outside full time, I'm glad to be down to one chamber.
5. Leopards need much more space than a russian both inside and outside. Leopards eat basically the same diet but more of it as they grow. Leopards need heat at night and all year long, a russian doesn't.
6. Tom covered this

I hope this helps :)

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
I have seen several different adult sizes from 10" ~ 18" is normal, is this correct? As for time to care, I like to come home and decompress watching my russian tort. I feed him and clean his enclosure then just watch him. So time is not a problem just wanted to know if there is more care then Russians or the same.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If I had to word it as a one liner...

A baby leopard is more care than an adult russian.

I've seen adults in the size range you listed. I love leopards and I'm sure if you get one, you will too ;)

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
On average, how long can I keep a baby leopard in a 48" x 24" x 36" closed chamber? I will take outside during the warm days for he/she to walk around but bring back in at night time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
On average, how long can I keep a baby leopard in a 48" x 24" x 36" closed chamber? I will take outside during the warm days for he/she to walk around but bring back in at night time.
Anywhere from 6 months to several years depending on how your baby is started and how you house and care for it.

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
I have read many different options on couple and groups of tortoises.
I was looking to get 2 Leopard (GpB) hatchlings from same person. (If there are from the same clutch, I don't know but will ask if important.)
Will it be OK to houses them together?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Justin
I leave my Russians outside year around in a4x8 enclosure ; but my Leopards are in a13x 36 and they come in for the winter ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400778883.008254.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400778904.011506.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I don't like keeping 2 together. Ever. I see huge differences in behavior when they are housed single VS. in a pair VS. in a 3+ group.

I would never recommend a pair and avoid it whenever possible.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have read many different options on couple and groups of tortoises.
I was looking to get 2 Leopard (GpB) hatchlings from same person. (If there are from the same clutch, I don't know but will ask if important.)

It's a bit of a touchy subject, everyone has their opinions based on their own observations and experiences so the best I could advise is that you consider all opinions and form your own conclusion on whether or not it would be OK.

I have personally not noted any issues with tortoises kept in pairs vs. tortoises kept in groups or by themselves from my own observations and others. Based on my extensive experience I can't say that my observations have been an exception, but that's not to say that I would recommend that you do keep a pair of tortoises and you won't have issues. All I would recommend is that whatever you decide to do, you should be prepared to separate the tortoises individually or remove the aggressor or the victim should any issues arise. And that recommendation would apply to any sort of group dynamic whether you have a pair of several tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like Neal, I have never had pair problems, but it's probably because once the tortoises are over 6 months they go outside into a large enclosure. Plenty of hiding places, sight barriers and lots of room so they don't feel they're encroaching on each others' territory.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Like Neal, I have never had pair problems, but it's probably because once the tortoises are over 6 months they go outside into a large enclosure. Plenty of hiding places, sight barriers and lots of room so they don't feel they're encroaching on each others' territory.

Good point. I do think that enclosure size and set up mitigates some of the issues keeping tortoises in pairs and groups.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

No it won't be okay. You read the thread on pairs, and I think you know of my background in understanding behavior, so I think you already know what I would say. If you ask 100 people you will get 100 answers. Eventually someone is going to tell you what you want to hear. Two already have. Once you have kept 100's of tortoise for dozens of years, you will understand what I'm trying to tell you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will take outside during the warm days for he/she to walk around but bring back in at night time.

By the way, please have an appropriate safe enclosure for this. The way you worded this makes it seem like the tortoise will just be loose in a yard. I don't know what your intentions are, but I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry and mention it.

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
Thank you, tom.
I have a above ground garden that is currently 6' x 8' that is fenced in and over this weekend be covered. Ground has been tilled and fresh top soil layer added. I have room to add on to make 10' x 16'. However, I plan to move to a new home this year and tortoise space will be key in my process.
Meaning today indoor space is limited to 4' x 2' closed or open chamber. But 1 or 2 years from now a lot more space.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
To elaborate on my pair VS. group experience..

I've had 17 leopards in my care at one time or another. In the beginning it was just my 1. A year later, I got a pair. The yearling pair had always been kept together. I continued to keep them together during quarantine until they could mix with my single leopard. The pair dynamics showed Summer as dominant (actively roams the enclosure- eats very well- confronts the other tort) and Bumble Bee as submissive (hides a lot- hardly eats- walks away from the other tort). Once they mixed with my Levi, Summer became most submissive and Bumble Bee became dominant of all 3. Whenever I move Bumble Bee into a separate pen, Levi "comes out of his shell" more. It's clear, he is more comfortable when Bee isn't around. But if Bee and Summer are alone together, Summer dominates Bee. Levi dominates Summer if its just them 2. Confused yet? LOL

Right now I have 6 hatchlings in my care. 2 are mine. Elmo is the dominant one, Olive is submissive. Elmo spends the day outside in a pen, alone. Olive spends the day inside the chamber, alone. During Olive's 2 hours outside during good weather, she is in a hatchling pen alone. If she is housed with Elmo during the day there is a big difference in behavior. Less eating, less activity, more hiding. The do sleep in the chamber together though.
Now that I'm watching 4 more babies, I can keep the group of 6 together at all times. Inside together, outside together and Olive has no problem. She is totally herself EVEN WITH Elmo around...because there are 4 others around.

Did I just totally confuse everyone??? Or does this shed some light on what I see with my group dynamics?:p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
BTW, my outdoor enclosures are large, well planted and full of obstacles/sight barriers. My dominant torts have never bit or rammed the others...but I can tell just the presence makes the others uncomfortable and it changes their behavior. So I personally feel better letting them have their alone time or being in a larger group to diffuse any dominant behaviors.