Leopard tort - indoor substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mich

5 Year Member
Is it OK to use Timothy hay as a substrate in an indoor enclosure? I had soil/sand mix in the old enclosure but in my new one for ease of cleaning her massive pops (which is almost always done IN her hide *sigh*) I'd rather use hay and grasses if I could. She has a large shallow water dish that I've seen her drink from and soak in many times, would that provide enough moisture without having a dirt type substrate?

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I would use coco coir that's what I use. It keeps the moisture in and humidity up.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
jesst said:
I would use coco coir that's what I use. It keeps the moisture in and humidity up.

Agreed I have used hay and it smells strong and molds whit even a drop of water. It's also dusty so I wouldn't recommend it. It does keep a tort warm so maybe you could put it in the hide. But I recommend coco coir:)

Mich

5 Year Member
I used coco coir as well before I switched to soil/sand mix. I found it got dry and dusty faster then the soil and more expensive given the rate I had to clean it out at. I do have dried timothy and bermuda grass in 2 of her hides .. I originally planned on making her enclosure half hay and half soil/sand but right now with just the thick plastic covering on the bottom and the hay it's SOOOOOO much easier to clean lol I actually didn't realise how watery her poo was until now, shockingly far worse then even my iguana and that's saying a lot :) And the amount that gets soaked up in the soil is disgusting and requires constant changing. Guess I'll stick with my original plan and make her enclsoure half soil so I will know her humidity is ok. Thanks for the advise guys :)

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
You shouldn't have to clean it that often. I have had it in my leopard and sulcata enclosures for over 6 months and with some spot cleaning it stays clean. I would be worried about the sand and your tort eating it. Sand can cause impaction. I also wouldn't use hay, it molds really easily.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
My preferred choice for indoor substrates is orchid bark. Not messy whatsoever, holds humidity well, and smells good.

Mich

5 Year Member
I'm actually starting to think she has runny stool .. with the dirt substarte I couldn't tell because it mostly got absorbed I guess (eww, hence why I don't want dirt if I could avoid it, so not clean) .. in her new encl before I had substarte down I could really see her bowel movements and was shocked!! She poos in her hide and then lays in the puddle of yuck. I'll need to make a vet appointment andf maybe taken in a stool sample to check for worms etc :(

Status
Not open for further replies.