Leopard this big really?!? And so beautiful

Fredkas

5 Year Member
6085160_201112022155280476.jpg

I never know leopard can become this big, and they are so pretty.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Those are most likely the SA leopards. very impressive

Hans75

5 Year Member
Hello, this picture does not show SA leopards. This is a picture added to an ad selling Ethiopian (or Somali, can´t really remember) Leopard Tortoises several years ago in Europe/Germany. As far as I can remember it was discussed quite controversial in German and other European forums because at this time quite a few large Ethiopian Leopard Tortoises have been imported to Europe. Those fully grown tortoises didn´t do to well in capitivity and probably a large number of them died. Nevertheless, today, captive bred Ethiopian/Somali leopards are available regularly in Germany/Europe.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Hans from left field with the info...... Nice!

Those are some impressive beasts. The photo itself looks a little suspicious to me, it has a photoshop quality to it, but that is my personal opinion and by no means meant to be taken as truth or fact.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hans from left field with the info...... Nice!

Those are some impressive beasts. The photo itself looks a little suspicious to me, it has a photoshop quality to it, but that is my personal opinion and by no means meant to be taken as truth or fact.

No, it's real for sure. That's a very old picture that we've discussed here on the Forum before. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom please give insight as i am curious about this

Hans spelled it out perfectly.

That type is not available in the US to my knowledge.

Richard and Jerry Fife went to Ethiopia and found this type in the wild. They did a presentation at the TTPG showing all sorts of pictures from their trip.

Killerrookie

Hans spelled it out perfectly.

That type is not available in the US to my knowledge.

Richard and Jerry Fife went to Ethiopia and found this type in the wild. They did a presentation at the TTPG showing all sorts of pictures from their trip.
Are these Pardalis Pardalis Leopard tortoises?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If someone was selling juvenile Ethiopian leopards, how would I be able to guarantee they genuinely are Ethiopian.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are these Pardalis Pardalis Leopard tortoises?

Since there are no recognised sub species in the Pardalis group of tortoises, the answer has to be no. ALL leopard tortoises are Stigmochelys (or Geochelone) pardalis. Pardalis pardalis and Pardalis babcocki are not recognised.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
They are gorgeous and I wish they would've left them in the wild where they belong. Unless they were being hunted down and killed or something they should be left alone.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
So it is likely will be extinct. so sad they are so beautiful. i hope there are breeders to help this big gen.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
As others have said, this picture has been circulating for awhile. There used to be a Spanish forum and his own website that had a bunch of pictures of the offspring from this his adults, but it doesn't appear to be around anymore.

It's an impressive picture. I've always wondered how big the ones in the picture actually are.