Leopard Nests

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I found two spots this morning that were obviously dug by my 8 year old female leopard tortoise. I have no doubt about that, but I am wondering if you can tell from looking if it is a "test" hole, or an actual nest with eggs in it. I carefully dug into one only to find it blocked by two very strong roots a few inches under the surface. There is no way that she got through those roots.

I didn't have time to dig into the other spot before I went to work this morning, but I can tomorrow morning if that is what I should do. I just don't know exactly what I should do. I would almost prefer to leave a real nest alone and let the eggs try to hatch naturally in the ground. I could build a "fence" around the area so that if babies did hatch they would be confined until I found them.

My female was mounted by a 5 year old male a few times this summer, but I really don't know if he was old/big enough to impregnate her. There is a good chance that she is (or is trying to) laying infertile eggs, but I want to do whatever I need to just in case they are fertile.

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Usually test holes are left open, as in the female doesn't bother to fill them back in. I have had one nest in the past three seasons where the female actually filled the hole back in without laying any eggs. If this is her first time laying, I would just dig the eggs up if I were you, if for no other particular reason than just curiosity.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks Neal. I will be digging in the morning! I will also be buying an incubator shortly after if I find anything. :cool:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Did you try to dig up the second hole?

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
LOL! Yes, but after seeing some pictures of actual leopard nests, I realized that both of the holes my female made were only test holes. They were just "started" nests, not the real thing. I will be watching closely now though. Thanks for your input Neal!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Cool, if she's digging test holes then she should do the real thing soon enough. One of my females dug about 5 test holes over about 2-3 weeks before starting to actually lay this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.