Leopard Incubation Set-up

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My female(s) has been busy. There are four new nests in my yard. It’s time to set-up my first incubator. I’ve got a new Reptibator and vermiculite but can’t figure out what size containers to use inside. I am thinking deli cups? What size? 12 oz? 16 oz? Shoe box was too large. Would appreciate some advice so I can get something And get it going.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've used anything that fits, but the ones I liked best were saucers that fit under rectangular planters. I don't know how to copy paste on my Kindle, to show you a picture, but if you search for rectangular plant pot it should give you a picture of what I mean. You can fit several of those saucers in one incubator.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I've used anything that fits, but the ones I liked best were saucers that fit under rectangular planters. I don't know how to copy paste on my Kindle, to show you a picture, but if you search for rectangular plant pot it should give you a picture of what I mean. You can fit several of those saucers in one incubator.

That’s a good idea. Square would fit more than round. How deep are they?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm on my computer now, so I can get the photo for you:

saucer.jpg

I really didn't care how deep they were, as long as I could put an inch or so of vermiculite in it. I don't care if it doesn't contain the babies when the hatch. The lid on the incubator contains them.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks but my incubator is only 15.5 in inside so don’t think this will work for me. But I Get the idea. I found some square plastic food containers that are abt 5 in. Thinking maybe I could use a few of those. Do you just sit them on top of the foam pad or do you remove the foam?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks but my incubator is only 15.5 in inside so don’t think this will work for me. But I Get the idea. I found some square plastic food containers that are abt 5 in. Thinking maybe I could use a few of those. Do you just sit them on top of the foam pad or do you remove the foam?
The picture was just to show you what I was talking about. If you go to a garden store you can probably find one the right size.