Leopard hatchlings at the reptile store..

SoCal

I stopped by a reptile store this afternoon and they had approx 10 leopard hatchlings for sale.. Before I joined this forum I may not have looked twice and thought they were good... But now I was like OH No.. They didn't have an overhead heat source, there was a big ramped water dish with green dirty water and their shells were so dry you could barely see all the markings, already showing signs of pyramiding..

So I just wanted to reiterate that I am thankful for all the info here! I don't post a lot because I am still learning and absorbing the info hoping to raise some very healthy leos.

Here is "Leppy" ( My daughter named him) 3 mo old, 1 week with me.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463462966.828341.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It would be very nice, if you went back to the store, with some printed care sheets from the forum. Inform them in a nice caring voice about the dangers of the dish, having no overhead UVB/heat source and the importance of humidity. If you make it more about helping the store selling really healthy well started babies and saving them grief in the long run, they may make some changes. Please speak up for the tortoises, they can't do it for themselves.

Nmcgowan

I stopped by a reptile store this afternoon and they had approx 10 leopard hatchlings for sale.. Before I joined this forum I may not have looked twice and thought they were good... But now I was like OH No.. They didn't have an overhead heat source, there was a big ramped water dish with green dirty water and their shells were so dry you could barely see all the markings, already showing signs of pyramiding..

So I just wanted to reiterate that I am thankful for all the info here! I don't post a lot because I am still learning and absorbing the info hoping to raise some very healthy leos.

View attachment 173786
I think we do have a section here on the forum for talking about pet stores and their practices. I would consider sharing the name of this store over there. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for sharing this happy story with us. When I say happy, I mean I'm happy that one more person (you) has gotten the right info and knows what to do.

The greatest "Thanks" you could give us would be to share this info with other tortoise keepers, like the pet shop you speak of. Think of how many people could be reached if they started giving out the correct care info.

If you don't want to share the name publicly, would you mind telling me in a PM. I would like to call them and possibly stop by since they are so close to home here.

Be prepared to be rebuffed. They might even get upset with you for "rocking their boat". Even if that happens, you will have planted a seed. Then when I come through and tell them the same stuff, and other people follow suit, they will be forced to reconsider their position and hopefully make some changes for the better.

SoCal

Giving them a care sheet is a great idea.. The store is about an hour north of my house, did a Google search when I was in the area.. I will see if I can email a copy to them.. I don't want to throw the name out there because the store was busy and I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's business.. Maybe it was a bad day or maybe they put something on the shell and I couldn't see a light, trying to give the benefit... Informing them is the best way and Tom I will give you the name in a PM

Kasia

Poland

View attachment 173786
Leppy looks very nice :) I love the name too :)