Leopard Hatchling weight

Jodipg82

Location (City and/or State)
Oviedo
Hello, is there information somewhere regarding weights for hatchlings? I'm waiting on the breeder to get back to me on the age of my leo tort when I received him so that I can track his age but would like to know what should be expected regarding weight. His carapace is about 2" long. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are a lot of mixed genetics in the CB leopard tortoise population here in the US. Hatchings can be anywhere from 15-30 grams.

Most breeders do NOT start this species correctly. ONLY buy from them if the baby is soaked every day, kept mostly indoors in a warm humid closed chamber, on damp substrate with a humid hide. Also make sure the breeder used a brooder box type set up for at least 6-10 days after hatching.

If they can't or won't answer these questions, do NOT buy from them.

Here is what happens when they are started in the typical dry fashion:

By contrast, here is how they SHOULD be started:

Just like most breeders, most of the care info will be wrong. Here is the right info:

Your questions are welcome!

Jodipg82

Oviedo
There are a lot of mixed genetics in the CB leopard tortoise population here in the US. Hatchings can be anywhere from 15-30 grams.

Most breeders do NOT start this species correctly. ONLY buy from them if the baby is soaked every day, kept mostly indoors in a warm humid closed chamber, on damp substrate with a humid hide. Also make sure the breeder used a brooder box type set up for at least 6-10 days after hatching.

If they can't or won't answer these questions, do NOT buy from them.

Here is what happens when they are started in the typical dry fashion:

By contrast, here is how they SHOULD be started:

Just like most breeders, most of the care info will be wrong. Here is the right info:

Your questions are welcome!
Hi Tom! I actually follow your care sheet :)
My little guy(?) is currently 27g and 2" and is a Babcoki based on his scute pattern. I live in Florida so thankfully I can provide sunlight easily and its naturally very humid in my enclosed patio. I use a closed chamber enclosure with a Repti fogger and fir bark substrate that is always moist, daily soaks and I bought a mister to keep him moist if he is meandering on our patio.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom! I actually follow your care sheet :)
My little guy(?) is currently 27g and 2" and is a Babcoki based on his scute pattern. I live in Florida so thankfully I can provide sunlight easily and its naturally very humid in my enclosed patio. I use a closed chamber enclosure with a Repti fogger and fir bark substrate that is always moist, daily soaks and I bought a mister to keep him moist if he is meandering on our patio.
Cool!

You shouldn't need a fogger in a closed chamber in a humid area.

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
Hello, is there information somewhere regarding weights for hatchlings? I'm waiting on the breeder to get back to me on the age of my leo tort when I received him so that I can track his age but would like to know what should be expected regarding weight. His carapace is about 2" long. Thank you!

Jodipg82

Oviedo
UPDATE: My little man is 10 weeks old as he was 6 weeks when the breeder shipped him to me. So 10 weeks old and 27g :)