Leopard Hatchling Indoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I already posted pictures of my 6month old leopard hatchling's indoor enclosure. However, I have made some changes. It's never ending upgrades....

When my 6month old is kept indoors it is in a Zilla 40gal reptile tank. We just built the stand for it. Humidity is kept at 80%. Basking temp averages 105 degrees. Cool end averages 80 degrees. Night time is kept above 80 with a CHE (ceramic heat element/emitter)
mlm6h0.jpg

I used regular kitchen aluminum foil as a cover over the screen. I cut out holes for the lights/CHE and spray painted it black. This keeps my heat and humidity right where I want it :)
My basking bulb varies from a 75watt incandescent bulb to a 100watt repti sun bulb, depending on the ambient room temperature. In summer the room is hotter and needs only the 75watt. In winter I need the 100watt. My CHE is a 75watt and soon will be plugged into a thermostat for 80degrees. I also have a UVB bulb, but I use it just for the extra lighting and I think it helps my plants ;)
15i47md.jpg

A close up of the tank. I put up an aquarium wallpaper on the back. My tortoise doesn't seem to have a problem with the 3 clear sides.
qodkco.jpg

The hide half. It's the cool side during the day, warm side at night. This log was very wide, long and took up alot of space. I cut it to fit in the corner and like it much better this way. My tort sleeps in here every night.
119c847.jpg

The basking half. I used a pathway stone and some regular rocks from my yard for basking.
9vb68k.jpg

I always have live grass or weeds in the indoor enclosure. I transplant patches from the outdoor enclosure as needed...but it changes depending upon when they are eaten. Right now I have 6 patches planted around the water dish. Sometimes I have more, sometimes they are bigger, sometimes they don't last very long ;)
I also have fake plants which my tort LOVES to hide under. The fake plants also hold up under the CHE. Live plants dont.
e8a786.jpg

My 6month old Leopard, Levi sitting in his dish. It's almost time to get him the bigger size!
zjdnk8.jpg

Hope this helps anyone trying to design their indoor enclosure!

I got most of my ideas from TFO ;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
ok, I changed the enclosure a little bit. I added more dirt for deeper substrate and added a humid hide while elevating the basking spot. My humidity is still 80% or so, basking temp is 110 and the cool end/night temps 80.

My leopard really seems to like this new set up. Not because he uses the humid hide, he still doesn't.., but because of the dirt mounds and mini hills. He cruises this thing like never before!

Humid Hide/Basking
358x8w7.jpg

Cool end. The corner log hide has dirt built up so he can crawl on top. He doesn't stay up there but has enjoyed crawling up a time or two during his rounds.
The plants by the water dish are real. I love them.
ae4508.jpg

1hzh9w.jpg

Kate

5 Year Member
I like this!! how long should a leopard hatchling be able to stay in this before outgrowing it?

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Looks great. Mine took awhile before he started using his hide but now he's all about it. He loves to climb his log hide too.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
This is a 40 gallon made by Zilla. 38x 18 x16.
My leopard is currently only 3"at 7 months. This is where he is kept at night and on cold days. If the weather is nice he goes outside into a 20' x6' pen and that is plenty of room to roam. I am assuming this 40 gal will work until he can live outside year long with a heated shelter. time will tell..

Status
Not open for further replies.