leopard hatchling being a picky eater?

verda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I got my leopard tortoise hatchling from ATC which is a pretty decent breeder. Since I got him he hasn't eaten anything. I have my set up exactly like what everyone has recommended here and he even has some sunlight outside in his outdoor enclosure. Indoor enclosure basking area is 95 other areas is 80. and i am using coconut husk and moss for substrate, humidity is 60. So I have a dish of mix greens and marigolds and other sorts of weeds to temp him, but still nothing. So I sliced a piece of strawberry and he went straight for it. He also been having his 15 mins soak everyday, he seem fine just not eating. Is this normal?

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
I can't give him too much fruits so I am not quite sure what I should do, wait a little?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They sometimes take time to adjust to new surroundings. How long have you had it? You def. want to limit fruit, maybe smear a little over his greens, you know trick it into eating it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Marigold has a pretty strong, pungent smell. I wouldn't offer that to a baby tortoise.

One trick for babies is to place the food station right in front of the hiding place so the baby can stay semi-hidden while he eats.

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
ok I will do that ... thanks!

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
I picked a bunch of different weeds including dandelions :)
There is this big field nearby that has so many different kinds of weeds and flowers. Its so nice since that field is un use so I'm pretty sure there isnt pesticide or fertilizer used there( don't have to grow my own). I'll give him a couple days to get use to his new home, its only been 2 days since I have him. Any advice for me is appreciated, ty all so much. I have a secure outdoor enclosure for him that has a hiding area also, is it a good idea to let him outdoor for a little bit during the day also? Will it stress and confuse him buy having to home?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How was the baby housed before you got it? Indoors or out? What substrate? How often was it soaked? What did they feed it?

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
I bought the hatchling from Arizona Tortoise Compound, so I'm not sure how he was housed. But with me since he is only 2 inches I got him a 20 gal tank using coconut husk and moss for substrate. I soaked him everyday and trying to feed him mix greens and weeds and flowers, to see what he likes more. He wasn't eating the first 2 days since I got him until I read somewhere to soak him in carrot baby food mixed in with water. That woke him up and he actually went munching on the greens on his food dish then buried himself under the moss. I think I was just worried cause he is so tiny and fragile. He also has a secure outdoor enclosure but I am not sure if its a good idea to switch him back and forth daily, would that stress him out at this stage?

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
Just wanted to give ya an update on my little hatchling, he doing well now. I think I just needed to give him time to get use to his new home. Now he is very active and eating well. Ty everyone!

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Great to hear he's doing better! But make sure you know your feeding him the correct marigold, not all are edible most of the ones sold at stores are not the edible type (or at least at the stores in my area).

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
Does this enclsoure look ok for my little hatchling? He seem to be a lot more active each day and has a set schedule from the time he wake up and bed time. How long do I leave him outside for natural sunlight, its usually at 92 - 98f outside. I also make sure there is a hiding and shaded place for him, and so for I have been keeping him out for an hour each day. (secured outdoor enclosure)

Attachments

• 1560464_528833623906441_2047946052359701259_n.jpg
    1560464_528833623906441_2047946052359701259_n.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 27

mikeh

5 Year Member
Nice looking enclosure. Coconut husk is a great substrate, I would soak it and let absorb water to help with humidity. It will stay moist for a week or so. Then just mist it with water when it starts drying. Mist under heat lights daily. With spot cleaning it will last 6-9 months easy before needing change.

I would keep the food in a large, shallow terracotta dish to minimize those long husk fiber strings being eaten with food. Eating too many of them could irritate digestive tract.