Leopard Eggs

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have a female that came to me as a rescue from Cincinatti several years ago. I don't usually keep the rescues, but at that time I had one male and one female and figured a 1.2 ratio would be a better match. She has been a very good breeder for me. This year she laid eggs in January (13), March (7), April (11) and May (11). The thing is, these eggs take a LONG time to hatch. I have my incubator set at 85F degrees. January's batch is just hatching now - almost 6 months later!

@Will

leopard eggs.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
No, it means May 17th. She just laid that batch a couple weeks ago.
Curious why you would put new eggs in with a clutch about to hatch? As they hatch, they get pretty active for me and will always try to dig in under anything, which is often another egg. With their clutchmates, turning another egg is not much of an issue, but with an egg not almost ready to hatch, I would be concerned. I've got to where I move eggs once they pip to another container as I even got concerned about how much they roll the other eggs. Do you feel that is not an issue?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't leave the newly hatched babies in with the other eggs. It just saves space in the incubator to use those containers. Two of them fill the incubator. When they hatch, I have another incubator set up for babies only.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thought I'd show a picture of them so far as of today. There are 9 fully out of the eggs. I left one in the incubator because he has a large yolk sac to absorb.

leopard eggs 6-18-17 a.jpg leopard eggs 6-18-17 b.jpg leopard eggs 6-18-17 c.jpg

In the second picture I'm pointing to my favorite.

Mojavejaz

Phoenix/Las Vegas
I have a female that came to me as a rescue from Cincinatti several years ago. I don't usually keep the rescues, but at that time I had one male and one female and figured a 1.2 ratio would be a better match. She has been a very good breeder for me. This year she laid eggs in January (13), March (7), April (11) and May (11). The thing is, these eggs take a LONG time to hatch. I have my incubator set at 85F degrees. January's batch is just hatching now - almost 6 months later!

@Will

View attachment 210350
Funny coincidence that I have a female leopard who laid 4 clutches this year also - Jan, Feb, Mar, April and the January ones just started hatching today! I had almost given up on them since a previous female (her mother actually) used to lay eggs that hatched at around 90 days like clockwork. Thanks for letting me know that this prolonged incubation is not abnormal after all. I look forward to the next three clutches hatching in the coming months.

tylerfitz420

5 Year Member
East Greenbush, NY
Can I ask did they chalk pretty quick like a week or so after they were laid? I have my first 2 clutches of leopard eggs and not sure if progression is the same time frame as Russian eggs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The eggs from that female start looking good in just a couple days.