Leopard baby squeaks and whistles...

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
One of my Leopard babies squeaks and whistles when s/he sleeps. Sometimes it sounds like a cat meowing. I finally was able to discover which animal it is. There is nothing apparently wrong with her/him. S/he eats normally and when outside s/he runs around grazing and enjoying the sun just like all the others. But when s/he sleeps s/he makes all kinds of strange noises. Has anyone else had this happen or heard of it? I have seen several posts about them making some noise but this is an all the time thing now and it is starting to worry me.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
squeaking can be the start of an RI, it could also be something stuck, causing a whistle.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you don't think its an R.I. it just might be his nares are covered. Look up his nose in a very bright light and see if you see anything. You can also flush the nares with strong squirts of sterile saline.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
squeaking can be the star of an RI, it could also be something stuck, causing a whistle.
S/he has squeaked for the entire 10 months I have had her/him and there is no other sign of an RI. Only recently has it become a regular thing. I "scared" her/him a minute ago and when s/he pulled in, instead of the normal whoosh sound it was a reedy squeal. I think something is either in there or she has some sort of birth defect that makes her squeak? Maybe I am noticing more now because s/he is getting so much bigger? Looks like we will be scheduling another Vet visit. Last time in was three juvenile ornate box turtles with RI's and vitamin A deficiencies. That one cost $139 but saved the lives of my three buddies. This one might be lots more.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
When you say regular, do you mean more often,or more pronounced?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
When you say regular, do you mean more often, or more pronounced?
Both. When s/he is outside, eating, soaking or moving around, it doesn't happen but once every so often. At night when the lights go out is when it gets pretty regular which is why I think it is an obstruction rather than an RI. Also, not too many RI's that go 10 months without spreading and or killing the tortoise. Still, I have to wonder, is there anything that can be done? This is easily my fastest growing and prettiest baby. S/he eats like a pig and when in the outdoor playpen, s/he is easily the most active of all my leopard torts. I will try and get some video of it tomorrow. Oh, and it is definitely coming from her/his mouth.