leo going downhill....

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I purchased my gpp leo in october as a hatchling (60grams) and she has been totally great active little girl but the last week or so she has been acting lethargic, only eating a few bites if that, keeping her eyes closed, and makes funny sounds ALOT... like a bird squawking?
Visual-> gapes her mouth open and then goes into her shell and makes a noise. I've seen her do this before when she would poop..... but now shes doing it all the time? All of this is unusual :(

I have consulted the forum with pics etc of her closed chamber temps, soaking, diet, etc. and i know all of that is perfect since day 1. I have a vet appointment tomorrow at island animal hospital LV NV.

she was 100 grams 12 days ago and i weighed her this morning and was only 82.

she also has no bubbles coming out of her nose/ mouth.....
no changes in environment etc since I've gotten her.....

another member who purchased from the same breeder, same clutch, lost his gpp a few months ago..... i hope mines not next.

anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
wish me luck tom :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
When she gapes mouth open does it appear she is trying to poo....does poo come out? How often are you soaking and for how long?

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
ascott said:
When she gapes mouth open does it appear she is trying to poo....does poo come out? How often are you soaking and for how long?

no poo comes out that I can see when she does the weird gapeing thing.... but like I've said she always has done that when she poops in the past.... just the last week or so she is doing it all the time in and out in and out of her shell doing that weird thing about every 10 min.... sometimes i come in she's walking around alittle seems okay but when i walk up to her enclosure she does it almost right away... so maybe shes scared? idk :(. up to 4 days ago she was pooing in her baths like normal. She hasn't pooped since then that I've noticed... but this morning her butt was poopy looking, like all stuck on her. I dnt think she has injested anything bad but I did add some bark and sphagnum moss in with her coco coir about 6 weeks ago.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How often do you soak her and for how long? How long have you had her and how old/large is she?

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
ascott said:
How often do you soak her and for how long? How long have you had her and how old/large is she?

30 min a day lately more than that (night and day). Her weight and weight history and everything was given above.....

and when i said wish me luck tom... i meant tom. (tomorrow) lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sounds like either an impaction or a respiratory infection.

rhachic

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Sounds like a respiratory infection to me. I had a 5lb male that got it and he didn't have bubbles either but would make the squeaking noise and pull into his shell/act lethargic/etc. Definitely get it to the vet asap as it will most likely need antibiotics. Also daily soakings is a lot for a leopard. I only soaked mine as babies once a week, though i also feed fresh moist greens and veggies.