Leo Died

urvashi

HI , feel so sorry! i have been taking care of my torts for 3 years now and i cannot imagine being without them now. they are fantastic beings and Leo will be fine wherever he is now. take care

Darkjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Leo died. Just found him.
2% f*** captive mortality rate among tortoises in first year of acquisition.
100% for me two tortoises, I did every f* thing perfect, just like the vet and the forums and the books and the research and research and research said.
Thank you all on the forum for all that you have done, I will always remember the wonderful people I encountered here.
I don't think I'll be getting another tortoise, my capacity for feeling towards an animal...shattered it seems, well se how I feel in the morning, I suppose.
Have you ever heard the pink Floyd song Comfortably Numb?
Not as if anybody gives a s**, wasn't even an "active member."
Sorry for the swearing. I know its against policy, and I don't usually swear. Take this post down. I don't care.
So long and thanks for all the fish,
Sydney
I’m so sorry for ur loss!!! I’m very new to this forum and this hits hard with me as I too have a tortoise named Leonardo aka... Leo! I worry about him all the time that I’m not doing everything I can. Now I’m worried again. Please take care and there r many who DO CARE!!!

Kimmers000

5 Year Member
Tacoma, WA
So sorry for your loss. We lost our first tortoise, a baby Hermanns. We were so upset, we didn’t think we’d ever get another. But then several months later, I started maybe contemplating it and literally the next day, someone posted in one of my local Facebook groups about an adult Golden Greek needing a new home. I couldn’t be happier that we brought her home - the conditions she was being kept in were not awesome, so I suppose one could say that we rescued her. But she rescued us too. I didn’t realize how much I missed having a tort. Give yourself some time to deal with your loss!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
So sorry for your loss. Leo is in my TFO calendar. It’s never easy to lose a loved one. He’ll be remembered.

Lisanne Allen

Indiana
So sorry for your loss! We lost our first Hermann just a couple months ago and decided to give it one more try. I pray that this little guy is a lifetime pet. He seems to be doing better but only time will tell.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
I doubt it will help, but there are a few things I think are true most people here will agree with. First, if a tort is abused unknowingly by a previous owner who has no clue what they are doing for long enough, no amount of good care can always bring them back to good health and save them. Second and more importantly, it is a loss to the community to lose a good owner. There are so many of them being mistreated by pet stores and reptile shows that we need everyone we can get. And lastly...being that upset only reveals you as a caring owner, and everyone here can sympathize with that.

My advice is take some time, and try again. You must have a nice setup by now, it would be a shame to let it go to waste when there is a 100% chance somewhere there is a tort in need of a good home.

SherrySue

Arizona
So sorry. I understand your grief and sense of futility. I've been through that as well. I'll say a prayer for you and your loss. :(

N

no one

I feel sad for you... I lost my Star Tortoise a few month ago. So I know how it hurts!!
I coudn't get another Tortoise at that point. But time went by... And now I have a lovely Elongata.
Take your time... I hope you will get another Tortoise in time, just like me. *smile*

Brimstonefox

Kent, UK
So sorry. The hurt is the price we pay for the joy they bring us. As others have said, take some time, wallow and cry and swear but don't give up. Again, as others have said, the animals need the people who care enough to try do it right.

kellygirl64

Upstate NY @ 90 miles left of NYC
I'm very sorry about losing your little friend. These torts are like our children, we invest a lot because we want them to be healthy, happy and to thrive. Sometimes we do everything right but things still go wrong. It's natural to feel such frustration and anger when in our hearts we know we are the solution and not the problem but that never means we (or they) will always win. It's hard to undo damages that sometimes just don't show right away due to someone's neglect, even as babies. If all damages were obvious, we'd probably never lose half the torts that come into our lives. But before we become the successful, happy parents of these 'kids' we sometimes begin as band-aids instead of parents, not even aware of it. I'm a band-aid parent right now, taking on a rescue that I'm utterly uninformed about but still trying with all the gusto and hope I can get together to give this guy a good base. If you know in your heart that you've done everything a good, loving parent could do for your torts, you should feel your grief and frustrations, but you should also feel proud that you had the chance to be the best thing that could have ever happened to your 'kids'. That means something to everyone here who has lived through the same situation, over and over sometimes. My heart hurts for you and I don't blame you if you never want to try again to give your heart, time and home to another tort, it's ok. I hope you heal gently and thank you for what you've done to give a home to creatures that deserve all the best. Best wishes. Goodbye, Leo.