Legit Aldabra Breeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Looking for legit aldabra breeders, if you know of any please let me know. Preferably close to Texas:)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I am going to end your search right now. His name is Greg also known as Aldabraman on this forum. I wouldnt buy an aldabra from anyone else. He doesnt ship (at least he didnt use to) but your not too far from Florida and can go pick up an aldabra or aldabras from the best stock in the country. Your welcome :)

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
A drive like that would cost me a fortune only way I could get one from Greg would have to be shipped. It's about 1000 miles just to get there

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
AustinASU said:
A drive like that would cost me a fortune only way I could get one from Greg would have to be shipped. It's about 1000 miles just to get there

He may have changed his policy about shipping but idk. Do you have a buddy in Florida that can ship it to you?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
AustinASU said:
Looking for legit aldabra breeders

:tort: I only know of three sources that have produced captive aldabras in the US in the past several years. One is also in Florida and the other is in Oklahoma. Several sources have young imports currently available that are over four inches.

:tort: Our next hatchlings will be in 2013.

33enbc7.jpg

2qdptti.jpg

214a8h2.jpg

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
AustinASU said:

I don't mean to offend you in any way, but an aldabra will cost you a fortune. If cost is the issue, you might need to rethink your choice.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Yes, an Aldabra itself is a fortune. The front of the page for Greg's says 1500 upwards for a hatchling, but it probably has gone up since 2010. And while that may seem like a lot, that's not the expensive part. The expensive part is housing and caring for such a large tort.

But if you are truly dedicated and want a Aldabra, honestly..I'd try and work something out with Greg.

As Greg mentioned, finding a legit breeder is not easy, either. Perhaps you could look into the one in Oklahoma, as it is a bit closer.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Well i have a big diesel truck that 8mpg sooooo....yeah. Money isn't the problem its the fact that to drive from where I'm at in texas to florida and back it would take literally 4days.....4days of the tortoise not getting the appropriate time outside in humidity is a huge risk factor into the tort getting sick. When it'd take maybe 4hrs to ship or via delta...Oklahoma sounds a lot better.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
4 Days to drive 1000 miles? I takes me 25 hours to get from where I live in the northern part of Michigan to Naples, FL which is just under 1000 miles. There are also such things as rental cars. It is your decision where to buy from, I'm just saying... there are options.

And a tortoise is not going to get sick from not being outside for 4 days. My tortoises don't get outside for 6 months at a time. I think I would go back and do some more research on caring for Aldabras, because that is a serious mis-impression.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
1000 miles isn't that bad. From St Angelo to Sarasota is about 1200, would take about 22 hours. Prob could be done in 20. I've done 17ish in one drive before.

Snag a rental with good MPG, maybe a Prius or something. It'd be a fun trip. I like traveling that part of the country. Right up there with traveling from the Northeast-Southeast and taking a trip through the midwest.

I'd do it and call it a vacation!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
AustinASU said:
Money isn't the problem

:tort: I have seen some currently for sale on a couple of the retail markets, in fact one is for sale, a two year old that was hatched at the Tulsa zoo from a member on this forum. They won't be 3", however they are available now and might be within your distance parameters. I am almost certain that there are no 2012 captive aldabras from the US currently available. I know that the other two sources tend to follow the same season we do and that means no hatchlings until early next year.

Kristina said:
do some more research on caring for Aldabras

:tort: The aldabra species are very hardy, I wish you the best in your acquisition!

28lc6pz.jpg

Jerry7777

5 Year Member
OKLAHOMA
The breeder in Oklahoma is Bob Clark, the python breeder. My Aldabra is one of his. He is all out for this year(as far as i know) but im sure there will be more in 2013.

Hasselhound

10 Year Member!
I recently purched a baby from Chris at Toucan Jungle. He was excellent to deal with and I have nothing but good things to say. The youngster was shipped out at 3 pm and arrived at my house at 9:30 am the next morning - he traveled from CA to NC. When I opened the box he almost came running out - a little skittish, maybe, but vigorous and active. I gave him a welcome home soak and then put him outside for the day. He was eating that first day and has settled in quite well over the last two weeks.

Best of luck, the babies are precious,
Kathryn

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Thanks Jerry, ill def keep bob in mind. Hey chris how big was he when you got him?

As far as everyone saying y'all can drive 1000miles in 24hrs....thats okay, but i've been known to fall asleep while driving long distances i can drive about 14hrs and I'm done. So to be on the safe side i give myself 4 days....it'd be faster but always overshoot never undershoot right :)

Anywho it'll be a year or so before i get one, I'm just keeping the field open for opportunity. And yes i know aldabras would be fine on a four day trip, heck on the atoll they get stuck in pits for weeks before they perish....they are way hardy:) I take in to care the animals safety more than anything.

Hasselhound

10 Year Member!
ALDABRAMAN said:
Hasselhound said:
I recently purched a baby

Kathryn

:) Post pictures of that little new guy, how exciting!

I've been having a devil of a time trying to upload pictures from my phone. When I have a minute, I will take some with a conventional camera and then post. He's sooo cute, though, and strong as an ox! And what an appetitie! I guess just a taste of what we're in for in the long haul, LOL. Good thing we're reseeding a paddock for him, and have that fork lift and horse trailer on stand by! :)

mike1011

5 Year Member
Hasselhound said:
I recently purched a baby from Chris at Toucan Jungle. He was excellent to deal with and I have nothing but good things to say. The youngster was shipped out at 3 pm and arrived at my house at 9:30 am the next morning - he traveled from CA to NC. When I opened the box he almost came running out - a little skittish, maybe, but vigorous and active. I gave him a welcome home soak and then put him outside for the day. He was eating that first day and has settled in quite well over the last two weeks.

Best of luck, the babies are precious,
Kathryn

Hello all, havent posted in the longest time, sorry(busy with work, kids and taking care of torts) but have to reply to this about Chris. I purchased from Chris several times with no problems, even recomended him once. Not anymore! April 2011 he adv. 4-5" aldabs. I sent him 3090. for two plus shipping. He then said he didnt have them, be here shortly. Shortly turned into six months at which I asked for money back. In Nov. of 2011 he finally sent me 1000. and alot of excuses why he cant pay in full. After weekly e-mails sent he finally sent another 1500 in April 2012. After that he said we were square(still owes me 590). After daily emails he first claimed were square, then he payed my "other" paypal acc, then he shipped me a tort instead. He finally stopped replying except recently saying daily e-mails dont work. Finally got fed up and reported him to the Internet Crime Complaint Center which is run by the FBI. They contacted him and his TRUE colors are really coming out now!! Thank God I saved all necessary paperwork and my and his e-mails. Buy from Greg, I have and could not be happier!!! I would not recomend buying from Toucan jungle anymore!! (notice no ads from him recently)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
mike1011 said:
(notice no ads from him recently)

I have noticed that also, do you think it has anything to do with the investigation? When you filed the complaint, did they indicate if it was a civil or criminal issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.