Leg looking not healthy

Shaiiilou

Location (City and/or State)
Rushden
My friends tortoises leg looks really sore to me, im not expert and have advised to get to vet ASAP, any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG-20210909-WA0063.jpg
    IMG-20210909-WA0063.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 68

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For some unknown reason the exterior layer of skin has peeled off. However, it doesn't look raw underneath. It's a good idea to have a vet look at it and maybe get some antibiotic.

Shaiiilou

Rushden
For some unknown reason the exterior layer of skin has peeled off. However, it doesn't look raw underneath. It's a good idea to have a vet look at it and maybe get some antibiotic.
Thank you! It looks like it needs a vet, (which i advised to do asap) I said to put in a rub with damp kitchen roll and get him to the reptile vet ASAP.

Shaiiilou

Rushden
My friend thinks its a shed but I really don't

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210910-092252_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210910-092252_WhatsApp.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 49

zovick

10 Year Member!
My friends tortoises leg looks really sore to me, im not expert and have advised to get to vet ASAP, any ideas?
In the first photo, it appears that the skin covering the muscle and bone has totally sloughed off of the leg. This is not normal. The exposed flesh is open to bacterial infection, maggot infestation, and is probably also causing the tortoise pain. I would advise a trip to a good exotics vet for an evaluation.

Does your friend know how this happened? It looks like the skin would have to be pulled rather hard to get it to come off the leg like that. If that didn't happen, it could be due to some underlying medical problem, another reason to take the tortoise to a good exotics vet.

Is this tortoise acting normally? Is it eating, drinking, and walking around?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Yes, it looks like the layer of skin has been striped from the muscle. That is NOT good, a Vet visit is imperative....
Keep it clean & moist, till you can get it to a Vet.