Leaving my tortoise for vacation

Adriel Vinson

Location (City and/or State)
Opelika, AL
Im about to go on vacation and I'm leaving my baby hermann's Tortoise with a friend. She has a cat though and I've gotten my tortoise a lid and some clamps for his enclosure so the cat can't get in but I still worry. Is this a good idea?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Im about to go on vacation and I'm leaving my baby hermann's Tortoise with a friend. She has a cat though and I've gotten my tortoise a lid and some clamps for his enclosure so the cat can't get in but I still worry. Is this a good idea?
You trust her enough to care properly for your tort. Can you trust her enough to show good judgment re' her cat? Explain the possible danger to torts from cats, and see what her attitude is, and then decide.
Actually, I think there is more risk from dogs, unless the cat is a prolific hunter. But that's my personal opinion, and safety protocols must be followed when caring for someone else's pet.
Depending on how long you'll be away, maybe consider leaving the baby at his home, with lights on timers and heat on thermostats. Your friend could come by every other day or so to freshen food and water.

daniellenc

Maryland
I have two cats and a dog. Tort will be fine if she’s not a moron. My dog has no interest in bugging the tort but my cats would kill him. As long as she doesn’t take him out to “play” and keeps the lid secure all will be well.