Leave light on when tort is asleep?

PixelAdams

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
So my baby marginated spends a lot of time sleeping in her humid hide. Usually in for the night around 5 o clock. I have my basking light (MVB) on a timer set to stay on 14 hours, 6-8. Should I leave it on the whole time, or can I turn it off after she is in her hide?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Having an mvb on for 14 hours is probably overkill. Are you using any other lights in conjunction with the mvb?

PixelAdams

Chicago
Having an mvb on for 14 hours is probably overkill. Are you using any other lights in conjunction with the mvb?

I have a CHE for heat over her hide. I got the 14 hr thing from this forum. It seems to be recommended to keep the tortoise from trying to hibernate in the winter. Do you think I should cut down on the time though?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
MVBs simulate midday sun; it's unnecessarily to have an mvb on all day. Ideally, you'd have an additional lighting source for general lighting separate from the basking light and UVB source. The "Reptile lighting is a process not a bulb" article is a good primer. Some of the specifics about the various bulbs are outdated, but the idea remains solid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you're misunderstanding. A tortoise needs to have a day/night cycle. But it doesn't need to have the heavy duty UVB shining on it all day, although some of us do us the MVB all day. If you want to use the MVB during the two or three middle hours of the day then turn it off, you will still need to provide a light to simulate the sun. You can just use a regular incandescent bulb for that purpose.

...or what Jaizie said!

PixelAdams

Chicago
Ok, I see what you're saying. Just to make sure though, there's no harm in keeping the MVB on right? It's just unnecessary?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks! I'll probably set it down to 12 hrs though. No need to run the lamp if she's just buried herself in her hide.

You should be past the point of trying to prevent hibernation. If the tortoise is up and eating well, you should be fine with just 12 hours.