Larry eats outside, but not inside

The best for Larry

Location (City and/or State)
Issaquah
Hello,-new owner of a Male Russian Tortoise, Larry. He's a real character! Background-95 F in hot spot, 75-80 in cool spot. Lives in a wooden Tortoise house 2 x 3 (i know, as I've read now, it's too small, but that is the best we can do for an indoor space). We live in the PNW, but Fall is upon us and he won't eat ANYTHING I give him in his home. Since we've had him, almost 2 weeks, luckily the weather has been great so he spends roughly 2-3 hours grazing on clovers, some dandelions leaves, and some other small leafy weed. Inside I have given him spring mix minus the spinach, kale, and some hard Tortoise Grassland Food the pet store said he was eating while living there. I even put some of the weed he eats outside in his home. He won't touch any of this.

My concern, winter is coming and I have not figured out what he likes to eat that I can purchase because there won't be weeds in the Fall/Winter and time spent outside will come to a stop. He soaks and hydrates great, sleeps well, pretty routine schedule for our Larry. Wakes up around 9-10a, outside adventures between 12-3p, back inside to wander around the house before we take him back into his den. We try and keep him out of his small den because we don't like him in there all day.

Looking for any advise and tips and I will continue to try different foods I have read about. Although so much information on this forum and other sites can be contradicting it gets confusing. Yes carrots, no carrots, no fruit, its okay to give it sometimes, trim their nails often, oh just do it at least twice a year. Just want to do what is best for Larry.

TYIA!! :)

Attachments

• IMG_5203.jpg
    IMG_5203.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5243.jpg
    IMG_5243.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5186.jpg
    IMG_5186.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5513.jpg
    IMG_5513.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5511.jpg
    IMG_5511.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 40

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Hello,-new owner of a Male Russian Tortoise, Larry. He's a real character! Background-95 F in hot spot, 75-80 in cool spot. Lives in a wooden Tortoise house 2 x 3 (i know, as I've read now, it's too small, but that is the best we can do for an indoor space). We live in the PNW, but Fall is upon us and he won't eat ANYTHING I give him in his home. Since we've had him, almost 2 weeks, luckily the weather has been great so he spends roughly 2-3 hours grazing on clovers, some dandelions leaves, and some other small leafy weed. Inside I have given him spring mix minus the spinach, kale, and some hard Tortoise Grassland Food the pet store said he was eating while living there. I even put some of the weed he eats outside in his home. He won't touch any of this.

My concern, winter is coming and I have not figured out what he likes to eat that I can purchase because there won't be weeds in the Fall/Winter and time spent outside will come to a stop. He soaks and hydrates great, sleeps well, pretty routine schedule for our Larry. Wakes up around 9-10a, outside adventures between 12-3p, back inside to wander around the house before we take him back into his den. We try and keep him out of his small den because we don't like him in there all day.

Looking for any advise and tips and I will continue to try different foods I have read about. Although so much information on this forum and other sites can be contradicting it gets confusing. Yes carrots, no carrots, no fruit, its okay to give it sometimes, trim their nails often, oh just do it at least twice a year. Just want to do what is best for Larry.

TYIA!! :)
What are the temperatures? Some tortoises like to be a certain temperature to eat. Read this care sheet...

VJRDuran

Brooklyn Park
To define for others on this forum: PNW is the Pacific Northwest. I grew up near Seattle. Where in PNW do you live? And welcome!

The best for Larry

Issaquah
Renton so very close to Seattle. Any tips you have for my Larry and TY for the welcome. Gorgeous day in the Emerald City today!!

The best for Larry

Issaquah
What are the temperatures? Some tortoises like to be a certain temperature to eat. Read this care sheet...

His temp is 95 on the hot end and 75-80 on the cold side. I don't know if his food should stay under the heat or away from it, I just know that it seems to dry out quickly. Thanks for sharing the article, it was very helpful and I had not seen that one yet.

Colorado Springs,CO
His temp is 95 on the hot end and 75-80 on the cold side. I don't know if his food should stay under the heat or away from it, I just know that it seems to dry out quickly. Thanks for sharing the article, it was very helpful and I had not seen that one yet.
Try upping the temps. The basking area should be 100. Can you take pics of your enclosure? Some tortoises don’t eat when they don’t have enough space.

The best for Larry

Issaquah
Here is a pic of his den, what I don't understand is that his home at the pet store was much much smaller yet he still ate. He ventures outside like he's been doing this all along even while at a pet store, but I know that is not the case.

Attachments

• IMG_5545.jpg
    IMG_5545.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39

Colorado Springs,CO
Here is a pic of his den, what I don't understand is that his home at the pet store was much much smaller yet he still ate. He ventures outside like he's been doing this all along even while at a pet store, but I know that is not the case.
This is long term we’re talking about. He needs a much bigger enclosure, at least 8ft by 4ft. Read that care sheet I linked to you. Can I see the bulbs your using? Certain bulbs can hurt torts.

The best for Larry

Issaquah
Ha! We are super close, but can still take a while to get to each other, that darn 405 traffic!! I avoid it when I can...

VJRDuran

Brooklyn Park
Renton so very close to Seattle. Any tips you have for my Larry and TY for the welcome. Gorgeous day in the Emerald City today!!
I grew up in Bremerton, but have lived in Minnesota for the past 25 years. The most important thing is to make sure that Larry doesn't get caught in the cold dreary weather as he can get sick. I know November can be very rainy. I am sure experts who currently live in the area will have more useful advice for you.

The best for Larry

Issaquah
This is long term we’re talking about. He needs a much bigger enclosure, at least 8ft by 4ft. Read that care sheet I linked to you. Can I see the bulbs your using? Certain bulbs can hurt torts.
Here is a pic of his bulbs which I've read about. I believe I have the correct ones that won't cause injury, but what do I know, I'm still learning. I am concerned about his den and will try to figure out how to grow that thing so he has more space. I did read the care sheet last night and I keep seeing the 8x4 space. It's constantly on my mind knowing his den is to small for long term. The best for Larry...

Attachments

• IMG_5546.jpg
    IMG_5546.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

Colorado Springs,CO
Here is a pic of his bulbs which I've read about. I believe I have the correct ones that won't cause injury, but what do I know, I'm still learning. I am concerned about his den and will try to figure out how to grow that thing so he has more space. I did read the care sheet last night and I keep seeing the 8x4 space. It's constantly on my mind knowing his den is to small for long term. The best for Larry...
That coiled bulb burns tort eyes! Turn it off ASAP. I would replace it with a T5 fluorescent tube for uvb, a CHE for ambient heat, and an incandescent flood bulb for basking. Those are the best lighting for tortoises.

The best for Larry

Issaquah
I thought the coil was the bulb that looks like a circle, like a coiled rope not the one I have....OH NO!!!! I will turn it off and change it to the one you suggest. TY!!!! Oh I feel so bad, I thought the one I had was okay. ARRRRRR why do they sell these knowing they are bad for their eyes....aarrrrrr....

Colorado Springs,CO
I thought the coil was the bulb that looks like a circle, like a coiled rope not the one I have....OH NO!!!! I will turn it off and change it to the one you suggest. TY!!!! Oh I feel so bad, I thought the one I had was okay. ARRRRRR why do they sell these knowing they are bad for their eyes....aarrrrrr....
There are lot’s of coiled bulbs, different shapes and sizes but all are bad. Pet stores give old outdated info, they refuse to change. Many members have talked to pet store managers, in hopes of them being able to get them to care for tortoises properly. Most don’t listen.

The best for Larry

Issaquah
Petsmart. We originally purchased a Tortoise at Petco because they said he was a Tortoise but as I read more about the breed I learned that he was a Turtle not a Tortoise living in a small desert land so we had to return him :(

Colorado Springs,CO
Petsmart. We originally purchased a Tortoise at Petco because they said he was a Tortoise but as I read more about the breed I learned that he was a Turtle not a Tortoise living in a small desert land so we had to return him :(
Is this Larry we’re talking about? Because he is definitely a russian tortoise. Or are we talking about a different turtle?

The best for Larry

Issaquah
We are talking about Larry, we no longer have the Turtle from Petco, we had always wanted a Tortoise but they sold us an incorrect reptile so sadly we had to return him. Larry the Russian T currently lives with us in a small wooden den with bad bulbs and won't eat his food while inside :(

Colorado Springs,CO
We are talking about Larry, we no longer have the Turtle from Petco, we had always wanted a Tortoise but they sold us an incorrect reptile so sadly we had to return him. Larry the Russian T currently lives with us in a small wooden den with bad bulbs and won't eat his food while inside :(
Follow that care sheet, and Larry will be much happier. Don’t worry, some people don’t even try to fix their torts bad set ups. ?