Large Homemade Enclosure for Red Foot

Drakkos

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, Fl
I am new to the tortoise world, though I have always admired them from afar. In October I decided it was time to start researching and looking into getting a little bundle of joy of my very own. I picked the Red-Foot due to my love of the colors, and since I live in Florida, it is a similar climate and hopefully will be easier for my first tort. My grandfather does woodworking in his retirement and wanted ideas for a birthday present, so I asked him to build me a tortoise table!
Pen1.jpg Pen2.jpg

He built it so I could piece it together and be easier to transport up to my home in Orlando, then insert the screws on the edges.. The bottom sits in the lips and is a piece of plywood that has been painted over to be waterproof. The long way facing the camera in the second photo is plexiglass, though I haven't taken off the paper yet.

Now, as you can see, this thing is huge. 3'x6', however I am getting just a little baby tortoise. I worry this enclosure will be almost too big. Should I block off like a third of it for a bit until he gets bigger, or is this size okay? Also, I currently just have one large zoo med lamp powered with a powersun. Will I need additional heat lamps, or mercury bulbs? Or can I just use regular heat bulbs and the powersun covers the UVB. I plan to take him out at least once a week for about 30 minutes, if that makes a difference.

Also, any substrate recommendations? I was thinking cypress mulch with a bit of spaghum moss on the edges, but should I put some soil down and then layer it with some mulch?

Thanks for any help!

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Looks great! I think the only worry with a big enclosure for babies, is that it'll be harder to find them when they dig and hide!

Your PowerSun is basically an all-in-one bulb, it covers heat and all UV requirements for a tortoise. BUT.. your baby will need night time heat. Nothing below 80 degrees. So you will need to get a Ceramic Heat Emmiter (CHE) attached to a thermostat that's set to the specific temperature to maintain the heat your baby will need.

IF your baby gets a few hours of natural sunlight a week, there's no need for a UVB bulb, but you're covered either way with the bulb you have.

For babies a lot recommend coco coir. I'm going to be using coco coir and plain top soil mixed together once my baby comes, makes it easier to grow plants in the enclosure!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a beautiful table for a tortoise. You're so lucky to have a grampa that builds things for you.

My favorite substrate is the small grade orchid bark. You can keep it moist and it doesn't sour, and if they accidentally eat it it won't cause an impaction.

I would block off about a third of it to keep the little guy in a smaller space. It will be easier to heat the smaller space and he needs to be kept warm while he's little.

Welcome to the Forum! Be sure to shoot us some pictures when you get it all re assembled, planted and populated.

Drakkos

Orlando, Fl
I am currently looking in a ceramic heat emitter, though Im not sure if the prices I'm finding online are cyber monday deals or regular pricings!

I just got Rocket today (The breeder had an emergency and wouldn't be back for a while so he asked me to pick him up today) so I'm a bit worried he may get cold tonight. Not sure if I should just leave the heat lamp on overnight or chance it an wait til tomorrow.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would make sure he has heat tonight, even if that means keeping the light on. tortoise can get sick very quickly if they get cold, especially a little baby.