L.T the leopard tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

msbar22

5 Year Member
My name is Maria -
I am posting for as much info as possible about leopard tortoises being in an outside enclosure. I do not have this tortoise, it is in the care of my cousin who has a good amount of resources to make the best enclosure there is for a leopard tortoise :)

He is maybe 3-5 years old, a good 6-8 inches in length, nice hard shell, doing well for himself in his tortoise life. I don't really see him that often but when I did in April he was so much bigger from the last time I saw him; they grow so quick!
Anyway - can he be in an outside enclosure? We live in Tucson, AZ, a good number of predators out here - should I give them the advice to have a mesh top if he does go outside? Should they stick with inside? He is in a large glass tank (I've heard that is not ideal for tortoises because of temperature) but he is outgrowing that rapidly. I don't want to tell them the wrong thing because I don't know much about the leopard tortoise (I have a desert myself and he is an outside guy).
Any links to other posts of enclosures, opinions on the situation, facts as well - all appreciated. This tortoise is wicked cute and I wanna see him live a long healthy life munching on greens and basking in the sun!

Thanks
Maria

oh BTW - I don't know for sure if it is a he or a she. I am using he for now until we know! :)

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
The answer depends a lot on the physical size of the tortoise. I was expecting a larger tort, but if he is being kept in a glass tank, he can't be that big. Either way, a glass tank is bad for them - holds too much heat, poor air circulation, and the clear glass can really frustrate torts if they can see through but can't get out. That should change to improve the situation. Being in AZ, it is probably fine to keep him outside given the temperatures there. However, they must make sure there is plenty of water available and a good hide to get out of the sun. As far as predators go, that depends on the size of the tort and the surroundings. If the tort is fairly small, like 5-6 inches or less, that can be an easy target for a predator like a racoon or dog. Perhaps a chicken wire top on the enclosure could be enough to protect him. If the yard is well fenced and there are few signs of close predators, then it is okay to keep him outside.

Hope this helps. :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
He can live outdoors during the summer in AZ at that size. Just make sure he has shade to get too. What other predators do you have to deal with besides coyotes down in Tucson?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Maria:

Welcome to the forum!!

Your cousin's leopard tortoise can be treated the same way you treat your desert tortoise, with the exception that the leopard would have to be kept warm during the winter.

msbar22

5 Year Member
I think javalinas could do some damage, stray dogs and cats, large birds, racoons...I think that is it. I will let them know this information and let them know about this forum as well. They could get some ideas on the space they build from you guys. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

-M

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You can Build An OutDoor Pen Outside Out Of Wood, and Use Chicken Wire Over The Top, To Keep The Predators Out!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hello Maria! OUTDOORS, OUTDOORS, OUTDOORS! I too am in Arizona and by that age and size, they are meant to be outside 24/7 except for the occasional freeze days, which is about 2 days in Tucson, AZ. Actually, there aren't many predators here unless you have an open area and live in the desert, then you have Javelina, coyotes, and snakes. So that depends on their home and if you have a fence. As far as a mesh top, that is good if you are in an area where these predators can likely get to him. I wouldn't worry about our local large birds from above for his size. As far as outside, you want to provide not only shaded areas (fountain grass bush is good), but a house/shed something for him to go in at night. I wouldn't recommend some kind of dirt burrow with a metal trashcan lid that might be recommended for our local desert tortoises. He will need heat in the winter (usually mid-October until May). I would use a 250 watt infrared bulb or CHE (Ceramic Heat emitter) with a clamp fixture and placed at least 18 inches up from the top of his shell. Please ask more questions or feel free to pm me since I live in the same area as you and house Leopards myself. We would love to see a picture if you ever get one! Thanks for helping your cousin and finding out some good information for his Leo.

Status
Not open for further replies.