Kittens!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
We finally got a cat! I always had them when i lived at home, but never with my boyfriend. After looking at many adult cats at the shelters, we ended up with kittens (not what I expected!) They are very shy. Their mom was stray/feral so they need some serious socialization. BUT, as tortoise owners and having raised kittens before, I think we're prepared! We all know how tortoises can be..... patience patience patience!

I managed to snap this sweet picture sneakily as they hid under the couch. It's the only picture so far where they don't look terrified! (Hopefully the picture attaches properly)

1388771598587.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aren't they cute! Little twins. Have you named them? My new kitten is Billy Boy.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Awwww, so sweet. Congrats on your new little friends. Do they have names yet?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
The boy, who has 2 different colored eyes, came with the name Matteo. I think we may keep it. For the girl, I think we're going to name her Mia (Amelia).
1388773098418.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Very cute! They look very comfortable and content.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
They're precious. Good to see they'll have a great start at life with a loving family. :)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Beautiful cats and a nice rescue story! The best!
😊😊😊😊

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love odd-eyed cats. I used to have a white one with odd eyes. They're not very common. You new babies look pretty scared. But they'll tame down quickly when they realize you're the food goddess and you're not going to hurt them. Cute hats, huh?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Very cute. Congrats.

Are you familiar with a TV show called, My Cat From Hell!? Its on Netflix instant queue. Recently, I learned so much about cats from that silly show! One thing, how to help skiddish cats by providing high up places. Check it out and see if it sounds like good stuff to you :) I've always hated cats...until that show has helped me understand them. Now I can tolerate them just fine :)

Good luck with your new Kitties.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Team Gomberg said:
Very cute. Congrats.

Are you familiar with a TV show called, My Cat From Hell!? Its on Netflix instant queue. Recently, I learned so much about cats from that silly show! One thing, how to help skiddish cats by providing high up places. Check it out and see if it sounds like good stuff to you :) I've always hated cats...until that show has helped me understand them. Now I can tolerate them just fine :)

Good luck with your new Kitties.

hahaha I love that show! It's amazing how the people on the show have suffered for years sometimes with a misbehaving cat and boom! He makes it better in just a few weeks. I've been keeping some of his pointers in mind :)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I used to have an odd eyed white too. A stray (or more likely a drop off) who joined our house hold by coming in through the cat door. But it took her a while to warm up to us. She would come in and just hide at first. She was sweet and gentle.
Anyway, with two kittens, here are some things you might want to look into, to help keep them out of trouble. No cats should be without scratching posts. Not if you like your furniture. The first two pics are Walmart specials. And they love playing on the cat trees. A strong well built one is great, but Ebay sells some slightly lesser quality that screw together easily and are quite reasonably priced. We have them all over the house. Pictured are 2 of mine snoozing on one on the back poorch this morning.
And the last pic is of a simple door hanger scratcher. Also at Walmart or Petco.

Attachments

• 1389296149767.jpg
    1389296149767.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 1389296182851.jpg
    1389296182851.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 1389296308112.jpg
    1389296308112.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 1389296586419.jpg
    1389296586419.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 78

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Thanks for the advice :) I love cardboard scratchers- my present and past cats have always loved them, but these 2 guys haven't shown interest yet. I may need to try one of the scratchers you pictured! I'll check eBay too, hadn't thought to look there.

After a week of intense socializing, we're getting close to a breakthrough! They willingly come out to play and one of them approached to sniff me. I think (hope) there may be some petting soon!! (The foster home got them used to being pet while on a lap, but only by forcefully grabbing them. Learning to approach is the biggest challenge for them)

1389301382433.jpg

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Do you have the little stick and string toys. No kitten can resist chasing the feathered toy on the end of the string. And with the stick extension, you dont have to get real close so they wont feel crowded or intimidated.
One of our cats is so addicted to chasing the toy, he has learned to bring it to us. We started throwing it just to get rid of him but he will fetch it over and over!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
AnnV said:
Do you have the little stick and string toys. No kitten can resist chasing the feathered toy on the end of the string. And with the stick extension, you dont have to get real close so they wont feel crowded or intimidated.
One of our cats is so addicted to chasing the toy, he has learned to bring it to us. We started throwing it just to get rid of him but he will fetch it over and over!

Hahaha wow, a fetching cat! My kittens aren't candidates for the Pro Cat Fetching team just yet, but they are VERY fond of their wand toy and they just met The Red Dot last night. Oh boy, did they like The Dot!

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Don't be surprised if the gray spot disappears. My white boy had a big dark gray spot when he was a kitten. Now it's a faint silver spot

I love white cats.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Kittens!

goReptiles said:
Don't be surprised if the gray spot disappears. My white boy had a big dark gray spot when he was a kitten. Now it's a faint silver spot

I love white cats.

Really?? Oh, it'll be interesting to see if that happens!