king snake?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A few weeks ago I stepped out my back door one evening after dark to take the dog out for her evening constitutional. I was surprised by a black snake with yellow bands and when he saw me he reversed direction and went in between the plywood and insulation of a tortoise house on my car port.

After a few tense trips outside over several days I finally forgot the incident and forgot to be on the look-out. So this afternoon - 107F degrees - I went to the box turtle yard to turn off their sprinkler...and there up about 2' off the ground, clinging to the side of my metal storage shed was this darned snake again! I rushed into the house to get my camera, probably took me about 30 seconds, but by the time I got back out there he had disappeared. The sun was shining on the metal of the shed. It had to be extremely hot. And what on earth was a snake doing on the side of a metal building anyway?

I don't like snakes. I don't want to ever see him again. I wish he'd go elsewhere. What can I do to encourage him off the property?

Ew-w-w-w-w! It just gives me the creeps.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

M

Maggie Cummings

Probably just a garter snake. They eat bugs and I have several in my yard. They keep away mice and rats...they are good for your yard...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, garter snakes have yellow stripes along the length of the body. This one has rings around the body. And I don't care how beneficial they are...I don't like them!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just look at it as a very big worm:p:D and they are more afraid of you then you are of them, well maybe:eek:
when I looked up how to get rid of snakes, they say to basically get rid of everything we have for our tortoises. Sorry, I think you have a pet snake:D

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
I hate snakes ! I don't like them at all ! We have lots of garter snakes were I live they are so gross ! I almost stepped on one one time aghhhhh !

zaroba

King snakes eat rattle snakes.
Would you rather be rid of the king snake and have a higher risk of seeing a rattle snake (or worse, *not* seeing it until its too late)?

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Ok, I hate snakes too. I found out that if you use your water hose you can use this and direct them out of your yard, works for rattlers or any other snake I have come across in Arizona. Personally if it crawls I want it out of my yard! A old timer told me about using water. Works great and I haven't had to destroy any.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No rattlers here, thank goodness. I haven't seen the snake again since the last sighting. But I've been paying particular attention to where I put my hands and feet. It will take me a while to get over looking for him.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
No, garter snakes have yellow stripes along the length of the body. This one has rings around the body. And I don't care how beneficial they are...I don't like them!

1028762jld543t69m.gif
Sounds like an eastern king http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/lamget.htm

He will keep the other snake population down plus the rodents. I understand you being put off by a snake in your yard, but it will do some good. Just think of mr/ms. King here keeping the population of rattlers, coppers and cotton mouths down. I'm usually thrilled to see a king snake in my yard, that means my dogs are less likely to be bitten by a venomous snake.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
No snake what so ever for me. No, No NO.......

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I don't mind posting a snake on Instagram... :D post his photo soon!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
California king snake! You'll have to forgive me for this, but... LUCKY! ;) I wish a king snake would set up shop in my yard. But between the feral cat population and very close neighbors, I fear it would end badly for the snake...

Anyway, look at it this way. King snakes are 100% HARMLESS to you and your pets. Even better... He's out there munching on all the other critters that actually may cause harm to you or your pets: Rattlesnakes and rodents. They're piglets. Delightful little piglets. With a completely harmless, non-venomous bite that is no worse than getting scratched by velcro.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think what bothers me most about snakes is they are so quiet. You're going about your business, fat, dumb and happy...and boom!!! All of a sudden there he is. No warning, just a quiet slither and there he is. I just don't like them.

747117wei24kafiu.gif