Kind of wood to use for a tortoise table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
You could try a sporting goods store that carries camping gear for the tarp.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the advice Itort.

Today, I'm going shopping to see what I can find for my new tort table :)

Isa

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
torts4me,
I think what you did is fine. Did you by chance seal the wood where it goes togther with aquarium silicone? That would prevent any moisture from leaking through those seams. I stapled the tarp to the top of my table. Not the best looking but functional. I have quite a bit of Dirt and sand and Bed a beast mixed in and my Greeks don't dig to the bottom. They have about 6 inches or so of substrate. I used a poly tarp and I only remove all the substrate once a year. (My table is setup at the end of Oct. when the torts come in and broken down about this time of year when the torts go outside for the summer. Hope this helps.

Isa, just remember if you find you have a problem you can always tweak it later, Like when you are cleaning it. I am sure it will be fine and Hermy will love his new home.

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Fernley Nevada
Thought this might help.One of my torts is in a book shelf.
I dont have any sealent on it.Did put a piece of ply wood under it.And the inside is lined with a large garbage bag.Naild the sides and bottom real tight.
017.JPG
020.JPG
0251.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Everyone

I thought you put the tarp only at the bottom but you put it all the way to the top, it's a good way of keeping the tort table clean.
Yesterday, I went shopping, I went to 4 stores. My boyfriend and I were looking for the non toxic waterbased sceller (we found it at home depot) we also found the aqurium sillicone at the pet store. BUT we did not found a nice laminate bookshelf at a reasonable price. I found one with the correct dimension, it was very ugly. There other ones we found were too small. We found a nice one with a not so bad wood quality and it was very expensive. So my boyfriend told me he wants to make the tort table with natural hard wood :) (the sides) and plywood (the bottom). He is going to seal the sides (interior) 5 times, the outside 2 times, the bottom 2 times. We dont know yet what we are going put inside at the bottom because we did not find no tarp :(. But I did not go to the sport supplies store yet, I am going to go this week.
I dont want to be a pain in the neck but I have 2 more questions for you. I know I have a lot and I am really sorry but when it comes to my Hermy, I want to make sure everything is ok.

If we dont find no tarp, is it ok if I just leave the wood (with the 5 coats of sealer) on the interior sides, is it going to be easy to clean? Or should I really find something to put there. PS at the bottom I will try hard to find something to put on the wood and put the substrate on top but on the side I am more worried since I cant put whatever I want in case Hermy is going to be in full contact with it.

We want to make sure Hermy has enough space for a couple of years, what do you think if the dimension of the tort table is 2foot *5 foot. I wanted it to be 3 1/2 foot * 4 foot but my BF thinks it is going to be too hard to maintain the good temperature on the cold side and on the warm side. What do you think?? is 2foot too small?

We are going to buy the wood this week and seal it this week end. I cant wait :).

Thanks

Isa

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would suggest you the 5 coats of sealer on bottom also. This is where the majority of moisture is going to end and the greatest threat of rot.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I just built this ( http://tortoiseforum.org/new-indoor-enclosure-t-1392.html ) not to long ago. I put 10 coats of the polyurathane and then I dumped more in to use up the bottle. I don't use tarps and so far because I used so much polyurathane I have had no problems with moisture (I have boxies in one of them). For the sides I used a cabinet grade birch (which looks nice) and plywood for the bottoms. We used screws, when I polyurathaned I sealed up any holes. I also put laminate squares on the bottom to help as well. just be careful with the squares as my russians that were in the bottom one tore up two of them with there digging.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for your answers!

Jenn1, does your tortoise try to scrape or eat the garbage bag sometimes? I really like your tort table.

Itort, thanks for the advice, you are right, 2 coats are not enough on the bottom.

Jenrell23, Your table tort is really really nice!! How long did it take you to do that?? I bought a sealer, is it the same thing as polyurathaned?

Thanks

Isa

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Fernley Nevada
No she doesnt eat the garbage bag,sometimes she digs at it but I just fix it.
The sides are over 12 to 14 inches high.And shes not a climber.But the sides are soft and slippery so no worries.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, I just thought you can also use a shower curtain. It will work just like a tarp Is cheaper and is thicker than garbage bags. You should be able to get them anywhere.

The closer you get to a square enclosure the harder it is to maintain microclimates unless it is really big. You could always split the diffence and maybe make it 3 feet x 5 feet that should last Hermy a long, long time.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the replies

I like the idea of a shower curtain. I called my boyfriend (he's the one who is going to build the major part of the table) and he wants to know if he could put the shower curtain (he likes the idea too) at the bottom (on the plywood) and put some sylicone to attach the shower curtain to the bottom? He wants to know if the tarp is used for the bottom or the sides because he would like to leave the the hard wood with 5 coats of sealer on the interior sides?

The thing is, would it be easier to clean with the tarp on the sides (my vet scared me with the salmonela thing!)

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Isa said:
Thanks for the replies

I like the idea of a shower curtain. I called my boyfriend (he's the one who is going to build the major part of the table) and he wants to know if he could put the shower curtain (he likes the idea too) at the bottom (on the plywood) and put some sylicone to attach the shower curtain to the bottom? He wants to know if the tarp is used for the bottom or the sides because he would like to leave the the hard wood with 5 coats of sealer on the interior sides?

The thing is, would it be easier to clean with the tarp on the sides (my vet scared me with the salmonela thing!)

Thanks

I would lay it on the bottom, push it into the corners, then fold it up the sides a bit, using "hospital corners" to make it smooth, then staple the sides up above the substrate line. That way the whole thing is one piece and you shouldn't have any seepage or leaks.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yep Isa, I agree with Yvonne. I did it as she has stated and it is much easier to clean.
Salmonella is always a possibility but if you practice good hand washing techniques you should have no trouble. I have handled replies since I was a kid some 40 years or so and no salmonella so far.
Here is a site regarding Salmonella http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/salmonellosis_gi.html#6

Status
Not open for further replies.