Kiki finally moves in!

RumRunner

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Hello all, I became a tortoise keeper in July 2020 after doing my research here. I wanted an exclusive outdoor tortoise that doesn't burrow and since I live in South FL I chose a Redfoot because of our climate. I found a local breeder and brought her home. She went through a rough patch between her trying to acclimate to her new surroundings and a very wet rainy season. She ended up with a RI and took her to the vet. I had to give her injections every third day for a total of 20 doses. She barley ate anything for weeks but she pulled through and now she's thriving. In August I had built her a PVC enclosure but she had no interest in using it. She was much happier living under the bromeliads and fountain grasses. I started believing that the bright colors had turned her off from exploring. But after 8 months she has finally made it her home. I couldn't be happier !
3.jpg
4.jpg5.jpg2.jpg6.jpg1.jpg

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello all, I became a tortoise keeper in July 2020 after doing my research here. I wanted an exclusive outdoor tortoise that doesn't burrow and since I live in South FL I chose a Redfoot because of our climate. I found a local breeder and brought her home. She went through a rough patch between her trying to acclimate to her new surroundings and a very wet rainy season. She ended up with a RI and took her to the vet. I had to give her injections every third day for a total of 20 doses. She barley ate anything for weeks but she pulled through and now she's thriving. In August I had built her a PVC enclosure but she had no interest in using it. She was much happier living under the bromeliads and fountain grasses. I started believing that the bright colors had turned her off from exploring. But after 8 months she has finally made it her home. I couldn't be happier !
View attachment 324016
View attachment 324017View attachment 324018View attachment 324019View attachment 324020View attachment 324021
Congrats on winning the battle. Luv the house!!

RumRunner

South Florida
Thanks for the kind words. I have a question. I noticed that mosquitos love the house as well.
Can mosquitos bite tortoises? And if they can, does anyone have a suggestion on how to control them?