Kidney failure

victoria88

Location (City and/or State)
BARROW-IN-FURNESS
I would get a 100W CHE and connect it to a thermometer. Set it to around 27-28 degrees. Set the thermometer on the coolest area of the enclosure at the height of the tortoise.
That way, it will turn off when temperature requirements are met, and turn on if temp goes down.
It might be hard to keep temperature even with that open design. Some members on the forum utilize "mini greenhouse" as a cover for the enclosure, and it has worked well with them.

I've just been and picked one up so will get that in for tonight. His temps stay pretty steady as the living room stays warm during the night, but by all means I will look at amending it so it's better. Thank you all for the advice. After reading about kidney failure in torts online I'm afraid to say I'm not feeling very optimistic. We have an appointment tomorrow at our local vet who will liase with the exotic vet who is far away and see if there is anything that can be done for squirt.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
I've just been and picked one up so will get that in for tonight. His temps stay pretty steady as the living room stays warm during the night, but by all means I will look at amending it so it's better. Thank you all for the advice. After reading about kidney failure in torts online I'm afraid to say I'm not feeling very optimistic. We have an appointment tomorrow at our local vet who will liase with the exotic vet who is far away and see if there is anything that can be done for squirt.
You guys will be in my prayers ? ? Please keep us posted...
Sending good vibes from the other side of the planet!

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Also, I am no vet, but if it is indeed a kidney related disease, it is very important to keep him well-hydrated so make sure humidity is high & temp high, and give 20-30 mins warm soak daily.

victoria88

BARROW-IN-FURNESS
Also, I am no vet, but if it is indeed a kidney related disease, it is very important to keep him well-hydrated so make sure humidity is high & temp high, and give 20-30 mins warm soak daily.
He's had 2 small soaks so far today as he just hangs his head under the water after about 10 minutes and with him not being well as it is I don't want him to inhale any water so thought small and often through the day instead and hoping he got some water from the lambs lettuce he gobbled up ?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
He's had 2 small soaks so far today as he just hangs his head under the water after about 10 minutes and with him not being well as it is I don't want him to inhale any water so thought small and often through the day instead and hoping he got some water from the lambs lettuce he gobbled up ?
Lambs lettuce sounds good and easy to eat.

victoria88

BARROW-IN-FURNESS
*update*
Someone's not as puffy today ?his chin is still a fair bit chubby looking, but the swelling, albeit still there, has definitely reduced. He's done laps of both his viv and the living room. Only thing is now he isn't eating anything ? hopefully the vets will figure out what's wrong and my little big man will have a chance still.

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_074226.jpg
    IMG_20210228_074226.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
*update*
Someone's not as puffy today ?his chin is still a fair bit chubby looking, but the swelling, albeit still there, has definitely reduced. He's done laps of both his viv and the living room. Only thing is now he isn't eating anything ? hopefully the vets will figure out what's wrong and my little big man will have a chance still.
keep up the frequent soaks he looks so much better

victoria88

BARROW-IN-FURNESS
This is awesome news!!!! Was it getting swollen due to the kidneys not pumping correctly?
I'm not sure tbh, the vet did say a certain type of bacterial infection but I can't remember what it was. He said that with kidney failure there would be an edema and he couldn't see anything like that. He pooped there too which he said wasn't right so that's why he also said bacterial. And today he poop a round little formed nugget which is better than it was too ?