Keeping water warm

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Hi can anyone advise how you keep the water warm for your tortioses soak?

I have taken the advice of the experts and am soaking my tortiose for 20 - 30min now. Her shell is looking nice and smooth. But I find that because she is small still I cannot put alot of water in her soaking bowl so it gets cold very quickly.

Carol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Put the soaking tub somewhere warm. In the enclosure, partway under the heat lamp, a warm room, on a heat mat, etc… You can do it partway in the sun, if you are super duper careful and really watch the water temperature closely. You can also keep replacing the water with warmer water. Use two tubs and place the tortoise in one after the other with fresh warm water. I've also trickled warm water into a bathtub for large tortoises and periodically opened the drain.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Carol

Some people simply put the soaking tub in the tortoise's enclosure so it stays in a warmer environment and cool lower than the enclosure temp. I just change water maybe 3-4 times as the smaller volume of water with a small tortoise does cool quicker especially when room temps are lower. I use a heat gun and put fresh water in at 96°-97° (36°C). In about 10-15 min it has cooled to about 80° so I just change the water.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I use a plastic tub with a small hole in the bottom corner. I set the tub in the sink so that as the water trickles out the hole I can add warm water once it starts getting low.
My tort likes it when I let the warm water run over his shell as long as I don't get it on his head.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The last babies I had I set the soaking pan on a low wattage heat mat with a rheostat prier to the soak and got the water at the temp I wanted, that way the water didn't cool down. Instead of heating cool water I put warm water in and let it drop down to the correct temp. I was soaking more than one at a time so I used something like a 9x13 cake pan.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I use a plastic tub with a small hole in the bottom corner. I set the tub in the sink so that as the water trickles out the hole I can add warm water once it starts getting low.
My tort likes it when I let the warm water run over his shell as long as I don't get it on his head.

Yep, This is pretty much what I did. Small washbasin container in the sink. Filled up with warmish water, slow trickle of warm water running in. Our guy loved to maneuver so the trickle was on his back. Sometimes on his head. As our Sully grew, so did the size of the containers.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I just run some warm H2O in the sink and leave for 15-20 minutes. No need to carry around containers.;)

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
We go with a double boiler type idea. I fill the sink with slightly warmer than needed water and then set my soaking tub in that and fill with correct water. The warmer water outside the tub keeps the water inside where Clyde is a comfortable temperature.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
We go with a double boiler type idea. I fill the sink with slightly warmer than needed water and then set my soaking tub in that and fill with correct water. The warmer water outside the tub keeps the water inside where Clyde is a comfortable temperature.
That is what I have ended up doing. But I use two bowls because of the water restrictions we have at the moment. With the bowls a little water seems like alot of water. And then I can use the water to water the plants.