Keeping tortoises in New Zealand

Stitchpunk

Location (City and/or State)
Auckland New Zealand
So I emailed the breeder today to see if the eggs had hatched yet. She says "any day now" and that she will put my name down now so that I'm guaranteed to get a baby!!!!! *snoopy dancing*
I think my 1st purchases should be a temp gun and a hygrometer so I can assess the ambient environment in the room where the indoor enclosure will be - I figure that should help me to decide what sort of enclosure I need...

Littlesarah

Hi Stichpunk

I am in Wellington NZ. Did you end up getting your tortoise? I am looking at getting one next year once my alterations have been made to my house to enclose a reptile room (lifes dream come true!).
How have you managed to find housing, food, etc in NZ?

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
Hi Stichpunk

I am in Wellington NZ. Did you end up getting your tortoise? I am looking at getting one next year once my alterations have been made to my house to enclose a reptile room (lifes dream come true!).
How have you managed to find housing, food, etc in NZ?
Yes I did, just the other day :) if you go to Regional Topics and the thread called The Book of Om I've been recording the whole process there of getting set up.

Suzie Blue

Hi all!
Tortoises are EXTREMELY rare (and expensive) in New Zealand and I never thought I would get the chance to own one. I think there are only 2 or 3 breeders in the country. However one of the breeders is expecting Greek spur thigh hatchlings at the end of January (midsummer here) and all going well I MAY be able to get a baby from her late April (mid autumn.) At the moment I don't want to pester the breeder with too many questions until I know for certain that I can get one, so I am researching and researching. However I still have a lot of questions because all the information I find seems to be aimed at northern hemisphere keepers.

So, where I live the climate is sub-tropical - humid in summer with temps in the 15-25 Celsius range on average, and down to about 4-14 Celsius in winter. We get occasional frosts in winter, but never snow. Where the breeder lives is a bit more frost prone. She says that she keeps babies indoors till their 2nd summer (putting them outside on nice days) and then shifts them to an outdoor enclosure year round. Thus I'm expecting to need an indoor enclosure for at least the first 9 months. I was looking at getting this: http://www.pet.co.nz/product/small-pet/rabbit-cage/8527

Which measures 120x59x50cm. Does that look sufficient to begin with? It needs to be secure because I have cats. It looks to me like the tray is deep enough to hold a decent amount of substrate. I'm not sure what substrate would be good though - soil/sand mix seems the easiest for me to get but I'll have to carry the cage up and down stairs to put it outside so it needs to be not too heavy. Obviously I'd be using a UV lamp as well.

2nd question - given that I wouldn't be getting the baby till mid-Autumn, would it be a good or bad idea to encourage hibernation in the 1st winter? There's a reptile park in our region that has Greeks and on their website it says that " In their natural range they would spend the Winter months buried in the ground hibernating but at the Reptile Park the temperature does not maintain stable low levels to allow this, however we do house them in boxes of dry leaves for a couple of months away from the worst of the wet weather. They do not feed over this period."

And my 3rd big question is food. Plants that I already have access to are dandelions, red and white clover, roses and hibiscus. I saw that the Tortoise Lady recommends a couple of sedum species that I should be able to get; no luck so far finding a source for opuntias without spines though. That doesn't seem like enough variety though. I'm going to research into what weeds grow here, but most of the names that come up on the food lists are unfamiliar to me. I also would be interested in any recommendations for plants that are good (or bad) to have in the actual indoor enclosure.
Also, saw the Camp Kenan videos on YT and he says that he doesn't feed his tortoises every day, only 2-3 times a week because the diet is already so much more than what they are used to surviving on in the wild. Is that a common practice or do most people feed daily? And would it be a safe practice to adopt with a baby?

Thanks for any info you care to share. I'm way overexcited and getting a bit ahead of myself I know! But I'm always more comfortable about taking on a new pet if do a lot of research in advance :)
Hi I'm from New Plymouth and have two greek tortoieses. One is two and a half and the other one and a half and are living inside in one of those cages that you had a picture of.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :D

Please remember to post pics once you get the tort.:tort: