Keeping Tortoise Hatchlings Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cymmie

5 Year Member
Ok so now that I've played around with the idea of how to keep a tortoise and how I do not have enough room inside for them to be truly happy... I have decided to keep my soon to be little one outside. With a screen top to make sure absolutely nothing can get into it.

I just have some questions that I am unsure about.

If I wanted a hatchling... Is it possible to keep it outside?

I also wonder do I heat the tortoise table at all times? Like even during the warm summer nights? How far can the temp drop? I know I'd need to heat it for the winter months... and how should I heat it?

Sorry for all the questions >.<

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
What type of tortoise? What are the temperatures in your location?

Cymmie

5 Year Member
Ah sorry for some reason my brain thinks everyone will be able to read my mind or something XD

I am planning on getting a Herrman's or Greek if I can. The temps right now are around 70-low 80's during the day and drop into the high 50's-low 60's during night. I live in San Luis Obispo, CA.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I wouldnt keep a hatchling outside myself. I would make a place for it to go outside during the day to get some sun and stuff. But I would keep it in an enclosure other then that, just my .02 cents.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I replied about this in your other thread. In my opinion, the best way to house a baby of any species is indoors AND outdoors. Have TWO excellent enclosures for your baby. Let him enjoy the benefits of sunshine, grazing and exercise during fair weather, and bring him inside for safety and comfort during our cold nights and rainy days.

Cymmie

5 Year Member
You did o_O I don't remember the reply at all XD sorry XD I have a horrible memory >.< umm I do wonder if it's ok to have a slightly smaller indoor enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, the indoor enclosure can be smaller, specially because you will be housing him outside most of the time. Just don't make it too small that all the things he needs won't fit or so that he won't have room to roam.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cymmie said:
You did o_O I don't remember the reply at all XD sorry XD I have a horrible memory >.< umm I do wonder if it's ok to have a slightly smaller indoor enclosure?

Oh, it was just a few minutes ago. Your memory is still good! :)

Cymmie

5 Year Member
Ok as long as I don't have to make it the same size as the outdoor enclosure I'm planning XD otherwise it won't fit in my room >.< but I will make sure he has plenty of room to still wander and eat and drink. Also with babies, I hear you shouldn't keep water dishes in with them? Is this true? And what basking temperature will he need?

Lol Tom, good as long as I'm not going senile this young XD

Status
Not open for further replies.