Keeping tortoise from escaping enclosure..

Marjenn

I'm not a handy person and I'd been keeping my RT in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid enclosure. While it worked fine enough, I've moved and want to give my RT a bigger home too, if possible. But most of the tubs I see have seemingly not enough height. I used to keep my RT in one of those under the bed storage containers, but he escaped a couple times, and that was that. As I said, I"m not very handy or creative LOL so just wondering if I got a medium vision tub, which is 14 inches high, would that be high enough, assuming I don't overload on substrate? But better yet, what can I do to prevent escape altogether?

j_caouette

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496763552.721607.jpg
You can use these for an enclosure, I've seen people using them and I even bought one for my torts!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Try to find a Christmas Tree Storage Bin manufactured by Iris. It's about 4' long and not quite 2' wide. Not really big enough for a full grown Russian, but it's the biggest plastic tub I know of.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Might check into livestock tanks, such as ones for sheep.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not a handy person and I'd been keeping my RT in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid enclosure. While it worked fine enough, I've moved and want to give my RT a bigger home too, if possible. But most of the tubs I see have seemingly not enough height. I used to keep my RT in one of those under the bed storage containers, but he escaped a couple times, and that was that. As I said, I"m not very handy or creative LOL so just wondering if I got a medium vision tub, which is 14 inches high, would that be high enough, assuming I don't overload on substrate? But better yet, what can I do to prevent escape altogether?
There is no tub you can buy that is large enough for an adult Russian. You need something around 4 by 8 feet as a minimum. Get some help if you need it, but get something larger for your tortoise. You can find horse troughs and stock tanks, like what Jacqui mentioned, at any local feed store or Tractor Supply.